LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

server name for data dashboard

Hi I have a VI for controlling some hardware via NI communication modules and c-RIO using ethernet. The P.C. with the VI doesn't have a configuration for WiFi connection. However, my Windows 8 Surface RT supports only WiFi. I want to use Data Dashboard for LabView and connect to the my the V.I's indicators using shared variables. What should I enter for Server Name/ IP Address? The P.C. is connected through the local company server. Its IP/Server Name doesn't seem to work on the RT. Please help. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,175 Views)

Hi,

It doesn't matter whether you connect your machines to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. Applications and VIs can't tell the difference.

The important part is that all machines must connect to the same network, and all machines must have similar IP addresses. (In tech-speak, all machines must be on the same subnet.) For example, set the PC to "192.168.1.1", set the cRIO to "192.168.1.2", and set the Surface RT to "192.168.1.3". You are in charge of assigning IP addresses to each machine.

You have two options for setting up your network:

1. Keep the PC on your company network. Connect your cRIO and Surface RT to the same company network. OR
  2. Disconnect your PC from your company network. Get a private Router. Connect your PC and cRIO to the router using Ethernet. Connect your Surface RT to the router using Wi-Fi.

After you assign IP addresses to your machines, tell Data Dashboard the IP address of your server. The server is the machine that hosts the shared variables.

-------------------------------

If you still need more guidance, contact your company's IT department. They will know how to set up a network.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,050 Views)