From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial problem after upgrade to 2010

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I've upgraded my LabVIEW base package (including application builder) from 7.1 to 2010 (SP1). I've recompiled my programs and installed them together with a runtime engine (serial support included) on an other computer (Win XP prof. SP3). Now my problem:

If I log on as administrator, everything runs ok, the "old" 7.1 programs as well as the "new" 2010 ones.

If I log on as normal user, the programs run, but the serial communication does not work. Neither the new 2010 ones, nor the old 7.1 ones, which used to work without any problems on this computer before the installation of the new runtime engine.

Loggin on as admin is a short-time fix in order to continue working, but this is not a permanent option.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Toni

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,390 Views)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "serial communication does not work".  What errors are you getting?

http://www.medicollector.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,367 Views)

@josborne wrote:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "serial communication does not work".  What errors are you getting?

Well, I don't do much error checking. I get no data from the instrument - it's the same behavior I get when I forget to install a runtime engine without serial support.

But I think the problem is not within the program as it used to work (before the installation of the new runtime engine) on the same machine with the same user. And it still works if logged on with administrator rights. The newly compiled (with LabView 2010) shows the same behavior.
My guess is, that the installation of the new runtime engine changed the access rights for the serial port or for some files associated with serial ports - but I have no clue where/what to check.

Toni

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,351 Views)

Yes, that could be it.

No offense, but if your program had error checking, it would allow you to more closely isolate the cause of the error.  Right now, we can only guess ... e.g. " I have no clue where/what to check".

Just change the code to route the error cluster through all your functions and then output the cluster to an indicator or the "simple error handler.vi".

Message 4 of 6
(2,341 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Photometer

@josborne02 wrote:

Yes, that could be it.

No offense, but if your program had error checking, it would allow you to more closely isolate the cause of the error.  Right now, we can only guess ... e.g. " I have no clue where/what to check".

Just change the code to route the error cluster through all your functions and then output the cluster to an indicator or the "simple error handler.vi".

It seems to work now. Thanks for giving me a nudge into the right direction. Here the short version of what I did:
The error cluster gave the error BFFF009E (a code libray required by VISA could not be located). A search in the discussion forum did not help very much as most links led to pages like "You are not authorized to view this document". I was sure, I had the VISA runtime installed, so I did a "repair" of the runtime within MAX. This did the trick.
Thanks again
Toni

Message 5 of 6
(2,323 Views)

@Photometer wrote:

@josborne02 wrote:

Yes, that could be it.

It seems to work now. Thanks for giving me a nudge into the right direction. Here the short version of what I did:
The error cluster gave the error BFFF009E (a code libray required by VISA could not be located). A search in the discussion forum did not help very much as most links led to pages like "You are not authorized to view this document". I was sure, I had the VISA runtime installed, so I did a "repair" of the runtime within MAX. This did the trick.
Thanks again
Toni

I just wanted to give an update on this issue, as we think that we have found the underlying cause of this behavior.

Repairing the runtime with MAX did indeed fix the problem, but only for a few hours or a day. Then it popped up again and the non-admin user got the BFFF009E VISA error.

We finally found out, that out IT department had a group policy on the directory "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Anwendungsdaten" (this is a German installation, in English it would probably be something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data") which allowed the user "Jeder" ("Everyone") only reading rights. A new installation or a repair gives full rights. After removing the subdirectory "National Instruments" from the group policy, the problems disappeared.

Toni

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,295 Views)