From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port read.vi

Solved!
Go to solution

does anyone know where i can find

serial port read.vi

open serial driver.vi

or serial.llb library that is the lastest version and it is for labview 7.0

i also need _serpup.llb that is the lastest version as well.

serpdrv

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 46
(7,010 Views)

Maybe I didn't understand your question, but in LV7 the serial read and write are using the VISA read & write functions located in the Instrument IO > Serial (sub menu) of the Functions Palette.

If you do a search under Help > Find Examples  and enter the keyword serial under the search Tab, you should get 7 examples.  The top two should be good for you:  "Advanced Serial Write and Read.vi" and "Basic 2 Port Serial Write and Read.vi".

R

Message Edited by JoeLabView on 09-12-2008 08:26 AM
Message 2 of 46
(6,968 Views)
I think what he is talking about is the very old serial drivers. When NI dropped support of the serdrv, these VIs were rewritten to actually use VISA instead but still not break old code. I don't remember when this change occured. My oldest version is 7.1 and the the old serial VIs are calling VISA. I'm not sure what the op is asking for though. Does he want the VIs that call into serpdrv or into VISA? The calls to the old serial functions should be replaced, in either case.
Message 3 of 46
(6,958 Views)

i think Dennis is right to the point. Man, is there anything you guys dont have an answer to?

but yeah. the current program i have call into serpdrv. 

i believe that's the older serial functions.

i think the whole idea is to replace it because its causing us problem. 

i dont know if it will be an easy task

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 46
(6,943 Views)
can someone guide me on changing pressure_query.vi from OLD SERIAL DRIVER to VISA serial. i am fairly new to communicating with hardware.
Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 46
(6,935 Views)
Here are the two llbs from 7.1 converted to 7.0. To do a straight replacement is not especially difficult but is a bit tedious. For example, the old Serial Port Write gets replaced with a VISA Write. The old driver used an integer to define the port number, VISA Write requires a VISA Resource Name. The old functions returned a numeric error code. The VISA functions return an error cluster. Of course, the connector patterns are completely different so you will end up with a bunch of broken wires when you do the replacements.
Message 6 of 46
(6,927 Views)

thank you dennis! i hope the two llbs work for now..

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 46
(6,921 Views)

hi guys,

i am working on changing the serial function to Visa. but I am stuck at two locations.

what can i edit in these two vis so that i dont have to call out for OLD SERIAL driver and use VISA

can someone please help me. i am stuck here. thankyou 

open serial driver.vi

Message Edited by krispiekream on 09-15-2008 04:39 PM
Best regards,
Krispiekream
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 46
(6,869 Views)

Best regards,
Krispiekream
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 46
(6,864 Views)
Every place that you were calling Open Serial Driver and Close Serial Driver, you should be calling Open VISA and Close VISA.
Message 10 of 46
(6,842 Views)