LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port communication with Lakeshore ST-133 controller using LabVIEW driver for model 330 temperature controller

I searched on the NI.com website and found an example where the description says that the VI will result in getting a constant voltage output of 5V from the serial port signal. I searched the following phrase "Outputting a Constant Signal From a Serial Port" and its the first result.

In case it may provide any assistance. I am not even sure if it is related to what I need.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(554 Views)

The article is wrong about 5V. Do a little basic research on RS-232. The cable you have was possibly intended for a printer port.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(547 Views)

@Dennis

Thanks for the fast reply. What do you suggest is the best way to obtain a TTL signal from the computer to use it to trigger the instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(537 Views)

@Dennis

I found an article when I was searching on how to use the parallel port with the phrase"How Do I Use the Parallel Port in LabVIEW?" . This describes a couple of ways to use the parallel port. Will this be useful in obtaining the desired TTL signal I want.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(526 Views)

I read about trying the parallel port but the Inport.vi and the Outport.vi do not work with Windows Vista (which is the OS in the computer I am using) and LabVIEW 8.2 version so this method is no more possible. I finally got a serial port to ttl converter but I still dont understand what commands should I give and how I should achieve a ttl level trigger signal. I am attaching the data sheet of the converter I got. I hope someone could lead me to learn about serial communications now.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(514 Views)

RSGR:

There are quite a few resources online (Wikipedia, Google, etc) and on ni.com. A couple of links I would start
from ni.com are here and here. Let me know if you have any specific serial questions.

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(506 Views)