From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port communication with Lakeshore ST-133 controller using LabVIEW driver for model 330 temperature controller

I searched on the NI.com website and found an example where the description says that the VI will result in getting a constant voltage output of 5V from the serial port signal. I searched the following phrase "Outputting a Constant Signal From a Serial Port" and its the first result.

In case it may provide any assistance. I am not even sure if it is related to what I need.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(574 Views)

The article is wrong about 5V. Do a little basic research on RS-232. The cable you have was possibly intended for a printer port.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(567 Views)

@Dennis

Thanks for the fast reply. What do you suggest is the best way to obtain a TTL signal from the computer to use it to trigger the instrument?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(557 Views)

@Dennis

I found an article when I was searching on how to use the parallel port with the phrase"How Do I Use the Parallel Port in LabVIEW?" . This describes a couple of ways to use the parallel port. Will this be useful in obtaining the desired TTL signal I want.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(546 Views)

I read about trying the parallel port but the Inport.vi and the Outport.vi do not work with Windows Vista (which is the OS in the computer I am using) and LabVIEW 8.2 version so this method is no more possible. I finally got a serial port to ttl converter but I still dont understand what commands should I give and how I should achieve a ttl level trigger signal. I am attaching the data sheet of the converter I got. I hope someone could lead me to learn about serial communications now.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(534 Views)

RSGR:

There are quite a few resources online (Wikipedia, Google, etc) and on ni.com. A couple of links I would start
from ni.com are here and here. Let me know if you have any specific serial questions.

Tori W.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(526 Views)