LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sending information to a subvi

I have this vi and subvi that I am trying to send information to from an array index that I choose from the boolean array this information then goes to the other subvi to be added to the string indecator.

here is my code:  

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,833 Views)

Your SubVI has a while loop in it that can only be stopped by pressing the stop button.  And that loop will run as fast as it can.  That means the front panel of the subVI will have to be shown in order to stop it.  Exactly what do you want this subVI to do, because you have really no productive code in it right now.

In your main VI, you call the subVI, but you have no wires going to or from your subVI.  Also, that for loop will run as many times as elements you have selected as true in that boolean array.  Is that what you want?

Also, your event structure in the main VI has a property set to lock front panel until the event completes.  This will probably cause you problems as well.

You haven't clearly stated what you are trying to do with these two VI's, nor have you actually asked a question or said that you have a particular problem.Smiley Surprised

???????????????

Message 2 of 14
(2,828 Views)

well first I want the user to be able to select the information he/she wants to be sent to the subvi and than the subvi will allow the user to print the information into an html format after that the subvi will close so for instance if I where to select the booleans index[0] the information tim and jones would be sent to the subvi's indecator and string combo box.

my question is how do I send this information to my subvi?

thanks,

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,824 Views)

I put in the function to send to the URL but I still don't know how to send the information to the subvi

from the main VI

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,819 Views)
I turned lock off of my event structure
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,815 Views)

my question is how do I send this information to my subvi?

Wires.

Message 6 of 14
(2,799 Views)

Ok I tried to connect them I understand that I am sending an indecator to an indecator but I try to connect them so..... I get broken lines.

here is the code:

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,795 Views)

?????

Change the arrays in your sub-VI to controls, not indicators.  If you need to pass them out of the sub-VI later on, create a duplicate that is an indicator, wire the control to it, and pass the indicator out.

Also, why all the seemingly unnecessary local variables?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,787 Views)

Sending an indicator to an indicator is absolutely wrong. You wouldn't connect the output of one function to the output of another function in the main VI would you? You have to wire to an input of the subVI. That means a control.

This is extremely basic LabVIEW (and programming in general) knowledge. You should really take the basic LabVIEW tutorials and consider taking a class.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,784 Views)

I was telling you I know you can't connect an indecator to an indecator

Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,780 Views)