LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selective display of cluster type def

I used type def control of cluster in my main and subvi.

Due to some reason, I don't want to display whole things of cluster in the specific vi.

For example, a, b, and c variables are useful in the main_1.vi.

but only a and b are meaningful in the main_2.vi.

How to manipulate a cluster of type def in this case?

Do I have to prepare two kinds of type def and then connect two clusters manually using bundle and unbundle?

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,714 Views)
If you drop a cluster on the front panel you can hide (or move) any of the particular controls/indicators.  You can then resize the bounds to fit what you have left.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,711 Views)

To my knowledge, the boarder of cluster (type def) is not editable.

labmaster. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,702 Views)

Which version of LabVIEW are you using?  I am using 8.6.1 and I was able to create a type def cluster and edit the size of the cluster box to show/hide different elements in the cluster. 

Nick Keel
Product Manager - NI VeriStand and Model Interface Toolkit
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,670 Views)

Solution:
The basic idea for Type Definitions and Strict Type Definition in LabVIEW is that they are custom controls (*.ctl file) that can be placed in any VI. When the *.ctl file is changed, every VI that uses that control will also be changed which eliminates the need to go change each VI yourself.

When a type definition control is used, LabVIEW ensures that the data type is the same anywhere the control is used. A strict type definition is more restrictive and LabVIEW ensures that almost everything about the control remains the same.

A Type Definition can have a different name, description, default value, size, color, or style of control (such as a knob instead of a slide), as long as the data type matches the master copy of the control. A type definition only identifies the correct “type” for each instance of a custom control. The “type” does not include things like data range for a numeric controls, or item names in a ring control. So if you change the data range on a numeric control or an item name on a ring control that are part of a type definition control, it will not change these properties on all instances of the control. However, if you change the item name in a type definition for an enumerated type (enum), all instances change as well, since the item name is part of the “type” for an enum. You can also use normal property nodes with type definitions as you would with a non-custom control.

A Strict Type Definition forces almost everything about the control to be identical, including its size, color, and appearance. Strict type definitions are more restrictive and unlike general type definitions, they define other values, such as range checking on numeric controls and item names on ring controls. The only flexibility to a strict type definition is the name, description, and default value which all can be different for separate instances of the same control. The only properties available for a strict type definition control are those that affect the appearance of the control such as Visible, Disabled, Key Focus, Blinking, Position, and Bounds. For example, if you have a strict type definition which is made up of a cluster of various controls, properties for each individual control would not be available. Only appearance properties for the overall custom control would be allowed.

Souce link:http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1B04FD6A11E6F17286256C6300588BFA

Message Edited by Baji on 06-04-2009 12:04 PM
Balaji PK (CLA)
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved.
Message 5 of 5
(2,661 Views)