LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scanning 2D barcodes (with odd characters) crashes LabVIEW 8.6

Hi folks,

I'm upgrading a production program which involves scanning a 2D barcode containing non-printable ASCII characters (0x4, 0x1D & 0X1E).  This causes LabVIEW to crash quite reliably.  I've removed the non-printable characters and the problem goes away (this isn't a solution as the barcode format is specified by our customer).

I'd post my code, but all you'd need to do is drop a String control on a new VI.  You don't even need to run it; it'll crash whether the VI is running or not!  I did attach a sample barcode, however.

I tried filtering these characters from the Key Down? event, but they don't appear as key presses.  I noticed that LabVIEW doesn't crash if the String control doesn't have focus, and I can work around the problem using this fact but I never feel good when I work around problems.  I'm stumped, do you have any ideas?

Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-11-2009 08:49 AM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(3,375 Views)

,Hi Jim,

does changing the representation of the string (to Hex or /) fix the issue?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(3,366 Views)

TonP wrote:

,Hi Jim,

does changing the representation of the string (to Hex or /) fix the issue?

Ton

No, I've messed with all of the control's options.
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(3,363 Views)

How does the scanner behave?  Like a keyboard wedge?

Can you capture the characters it is transmitting in something else like a text file in notepad and post that file?  Perhaps it is some other unexpected character in the data stream causing the problem.

Can you generate a 1D barcode with similar characters and have the scanner read that?   In case it is something about the 2-D nature driving the problem.

Any error messages when LV crashes?  Or on reopening and recovery in LV?

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 03-11-2009 10:37 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(3,350 Views)
  • Yes, like a keyboard wedge.  It's a USB device, not actually connected to the keyboard like old, hardware, keyboard wedges.  I think...
  • Characters are attached in a PDF file. 
  • Perhaps I can generate a 1D barcode as you suggest.  Let me get back to you.
  • The error message isn't very helpful.

error message

Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-11-2009 09:51 AM
Jim

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(3,341 Views)

Here is something interesting I see. The .pdf shows some odd characters (the triangle, double arrow, diamond).  But when I look at them in LV, I see them as hex 2E which is a decimal point.  (Normal, \codes, hex display)

I'm not sure why you posted the characters using a .pdf instead of a text file.  You could have some font thing going on with the pdf complicating this that isn't the source of your problem

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 03-11-2009 11:11 AM
Message 6 of 21
(3,336 Views)

I posted the PDF to show the funky characters; here's the text.  I'm wondering if there's not something different when you paste it in versus when it's scanned in.  Keep in mind that this crashes LabVIEW even if the VI isn't running.  This makes me think that something changed between versions 8.5 and 8.5.

Another interesting thing to consider is that I see question marks where you show decimal points.

Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-11-2009 10:21 AM
Jim

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(3,331 Views)

Very, very odd.

Just so you'll know.  I got mine by highlighting the characters in the .pdf file.  Then Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V into a LV string control.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(3,314 Views)

I think this is just a symptom of the original problem.  The scanner sends non-printable ASCII "characters" to the receiving application.  I used MS Word & made a PDF, but Word doesn't know what to do with these non-printables so it substituted something that it could understand.  This allows us to copy/paste it in LabVIEW without crashing because Word already handled what it considered to be an exception. 

It sure seems that LabVIEW 8.6 String controls cannot handle the same exception, either in design mode or at run-time.  I've worked around this by letting the Front Panel receive the scan.

Jim

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(3,279 Views)

I know string controls can handle non-printable characters.  You see them with \codes display or hex display.  You can also enter them in normal display by holding down the alt key and entering the 3 digit ascii code on the number pad.

So if having a front panel control handle the characters works for you now, how were you trying to use the scanner before?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(3,259 Views)