LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO giving me .bin files

I have a sbRIO-9602 running custom code for use with an accelerometer, it is now giving me .bin files when I go to retrieve the collected data. Is there any way to interpret the .bin files into something I can use? Again, it is custom code that I know nothing about, so changing the code is out of the question at this point. It is running on LabVIEW 8.6.1. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,287 Views)

Hello Ryan Dulude,

Thanks for the post, in regards to interpreting the .bin file, you could use the Read from Binary File Function in LabVIEW. This function will read binary data from a file and return data. You will have to specify the correct data type to make sure that the data is read correctly. Hope this helps!

Paul-B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,269 Views)

Getting data out of a binary file without knowing how it is formatted is likely a shot in the dark.  It is a flattened form of real data.  If you know the order and type of the that data went in, decoding is a snap.  Without knowing what kind of data is in the file, you don't know if the data is formatted as integers, strings, arrays, clusters, or floating point. 

I suggest finding the original developer of the code, or the complementary utility that was likely created with the code for analyzing the stored data.  

Do you know what type of data is supposed to be stored in the file?  Waveforms of acceleration data?  RMS values of vibration logged once per second?  Can you get any access to the source code or the original developer?  If you can "see" the source code, you would at least be able to see how the data is formatted in the bin file and build a LabVIEW application to interpret the file.

Hope this helps,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,264 Views)

Thanks for your help. I found the old "Data Viewer" that reads the .bin files and graphs them. I can then export the graph data as a .csv file and go from there. I guess it was just a matter of digging further. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,255 Views)