LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO 9632 won't boot into Safe Mode after successful reformat operation.

I successfully reformatted and redeployed the saved image a working board (sbRIO 9632) in my lab in preparation for doing the same thing on a remote board in Brazil. The Brazilian sbRIO successfully reformatted using Ni-Max, but while found with IP address 0.0.0.0, wouldn't connect. Attempting to boot into safe mode by moving switch 1 into the on position and pressing reset, has yet to work. on the latest attempt yesterday, we removed all external ribbon cables by removing the two edge connectors and the Ethernet cable from the board. After verifying that switch #1 was in the on position and pressing the rest button. The power/status lights both light up as expected for 4-5 seconds and the status light turned off for one minute and then back on again for 4-5 seconds this repeats for several times and then we ran out of patience watching it. All verifications were visual using a remote HD camera transmitted via Skype video.

Any advice, Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,209 Views)

Hi Dan,

RIO targets with a 0.0.0.0 IP Address cannot be configured from a remote subnet. Try to manually add your host computer to the same subnet as the sbRIO, configure it and then return your host PC to its original subnet again.

Can you also run a console out session using PuTTY and post the console out session here? Run a console out session for safe mode and regular boot up. This KB has step by step instructions on using PuTTY.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,163 Views)

The computer on which NI-MAX is running is a Windows XP-embedded. the NI code includiing the sbRIO communicate through an ethernet junction box. I believe that they are all on the same subnet, All of the IP adresses are the same first three entries (10.200.3.XXX) Am I correct that they are all on the same subnert?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,148 Views)

The subnet mask needs to match as well. Say the Win XP machine has the IP address of 10.200.3.129 and a sbRIO has 10.200.3.1. If the subnet mask on the both machine is 255.255.255.0, then both machines are on the same subnet. 0 indicating the last number can be anything, 255 indicating the number has to match. Say the subnet mask of the Win XP is 255.255.255.128, the sbRIO is not on the same subnet, because the last digit of the IP is limited to 0 to 128. I am not a network guru, but this my understanding of it.

A console out session of your sbRIO will be very helpful. The behaviour you described sounds like it is rebooting once every minute. Console out will let us know if this is the case. 

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,128 Views)
After the reformat the IP and subnet mask were both reset to 0.0.0.0, when I attempted to restart it in safe mode it failed. Bypassing an Ethernet switch and directly connecting the embedded PC directly to the sbRIO together, MAX did successfully connect and alow me to reset the the IP and subnet mask address'
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,073 Views)