From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save files as .hdf

Hey everyone,

I have to save my files as .hdf to open those files with Head Acoustics. It’s not the HDF4 or HDF5 File-format.

NI has an HEAD_Data_Format DataPlugin, which I installed ( http://www.ni.com/example/52402/en/ ). Also there is a VI attached to it ( Convert to hdf example.vi ).

My problem is, I cannot choose a file by using the VI, Couse of some errors. I had to delete all the wires from the open data Storages and put in all the additional information in the properties windows by myself. It would be fine, if I could still use it in the front panel. But sometimes I get an Error after the second data storage, which should create the .hdf file. After I delete the wire for creating and replacing the .hdf-file and connect it again, the error doesn’t show up.

The error is 2558, but additionally I get the error 2570 at the end when the VI tries to close the .hdf file every time. So the file is created but has no data in it and can’t be opened by head acoustics.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,165 Views)

Hi Triax,

you don't wire any source/target path in your VI. How are those functions supposed to know their file path?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,143 Views)
It's saved in the data storage properties. If you wire it it will get the path from the wired box. But if you don't wire it you can put the path in the properties. The file is created at the end of the procedure where I told him to save it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,118 Views)

Hi Triax,

Could you check whether there is “*.” in your target file location in the second configure dialog? If the file location contains invalid characters, there will be error 2558 throw out.

If not, could you attach your test VI including your source file and target file? Can you tell me your LabVIEW version?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,966 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,896 Views)

how come you cant specify the sampling rate

it assumes 1khz 

mine is 20khz

is that supposed to be a property of the tdms file or what

does the tdms_index have the sampling rate?

my hdf files are coming out with good data, but 170s instead of 7s..

Dan Haugen
Certified LabVIEW Developer
CLD Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,393 Views)

also, i created a batch converter version...

Dan Haugen
CLD Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,392 Views)

only works if all the files in the folder have .tdms or .tdms_index extensions, otherwise itll try to convert whatever other file into .hdf also.

Dan Haugen
CLD Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,391 Views)

Thanks to DanHaugen!

So far, this VI seems to fulfil its purpose, but the resulting hdf-files cannot be read from Artemis Suite 9.3. Technical Support of HEAD told me, that the requested items of .hdf-files have changed throughout the versions.

So: Is there an update? Any new VI that converts tdms into hdf?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,896 Views)

Hi,

I find -2570 is too big as attachmetns.

Boone

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,254 Views)