From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sample analogue input at preselected intervals

Hi a little help on this one would be great. I have an analogue input which only needs to be sampled at preselected intervals for example, the analogue input is rising from 0 upto a maxumum of 300 and needs to be sampled every 15 (amount selected on the sample interval selector) when 300 is reached it would stop. Could I use a pulse counter for this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,423 Views)
That doesn't make sense. What kind of signal is your analog input? How many samples are you trying to acquire? Where exactly do you get the 0-300 count from?
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,417 Views)
Im sorry, I should have explained it a little better, I have a 0-10v analogue input (LVDT) which i will scale to the LVDT stroke length say, 300mm  (10v equals 300mm) every 15mm i need to take a sample from two other 0-10v analogue inputs and plot them against the LVDT stroke length, I hope this explains things, thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,412 Views)
I don't think you should try to implement this logic while you are sampling since every thing will be software timed and you won't get accurate data. I would recommend sampling all analog inputs till the LVDT signal reaches 10V, and then do the processing in software. Hope that makes sense; post back if you have any questions.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,407 Views)
This is a very slow process, it would take 2 hours to travel from 0mm (0v) to 300mm(10v) and taking a single sample from 2 inputs every 15mm I would need to scale the input I think because the samle interval (15mm) has to be able to be changed.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,403 Views)

The sampling theory belongs to the time domain. In your project you have to set your sampling speed high enough to be sure you get the movement resolution you need. If you need some signal processing you also have to take this into consideration an increase the sampling rate. As an example. If you in your setting find a samplearte equal to 1 pr second to be adequate. You could of course use a sample rate equal to 1 pr sec. But you can remove a great deal of noise ( and then increase accuracy) by increasing the samplerate to say 100 pr sec, and then present a new value every second based on the average value of 100 samples 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,392 Views)