LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sample 0 of the first iteration does not seem correct...

Dear LabVIEW experts,

I have tried to work on a simple synchronized AO-AI program recently, and found a phenomenon that I could not understand.

I started with the example code via LabView >> Help menu >> Find Examples >> Hardware Input and Output >> DAQmx >> Synchronization >> Multi-Function >> Multi-Function-Sync Ai-AO.vi

My setup was as follows. I used a USB-6216-BNC device, LabVIEW 2009, and Windows 7. For debugging purposes, I connected the AO0 to AI0 with a BNC cable on my DAQ device, so I could see the output on the waveform graph. When I ran this VI (without any modification; it was the original VI that came with LabVIEW), I noticed that the very first sample (and the very first sample only) of the first iteration (and the very first iteration only) appeared to be a strange (probably a random number) that I could not comprehend.

For the ease of your review, I added a simple structure within this VI, so that sample 0 of the first iteration can be shown on the user interface. Please see the two pictures below.

I ran this VI 10 times. The values of sample 0 of the very first iteration for the 10 runs were:

I tested this VI (i.e., the original example VI that came with LabVIEW) on another DAQ board (PCI 6221) and a different BNC cable in my lab, just in case if my DAQ USB-6216 device or the cable was bad), and the same phenomenon appeared.

My understanding was that sample 0 should be a very small number, i.e., close to zero. However, it was not the case for the first iteration (and the first iteration only). Starting from the second iteration, sample 0 was all very small and close to zero. So, was this weird sample 0 of the very first iteration a result of some left-over value? If so, from where? From a previous condition? Or was it part of the trigger edge? I have tried my best, but was unable to solve this mystery. If someone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

program structure.jpg

output.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,157 Views)

Please attach the actual VI so we can try it out, look at it more closely, and try to figure out what is happening.  Very hard to tell from a picture (and way too much work and eyestrain to even bother trying).

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 7
(3,136 Views)

That value is most likely where the AO stopped on the previous run.  You really should write a 0 to the Analog Output before closing the task.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 7
(3,131 Views)

Sorry! Attached is the VI that I copied from the LabVIEW example code library.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,101 Views)

I would advise to start AI task on ao/start trigger, not vice versa as it is now.

crossrulz is right, ao has not updated first value yet when AI is reading it.

Message 5 of 7
(3,093 Views)

A Stop Task VI before the Clear Task VI should return the channel to it's condition before the Start Task VI was run.  I would think this would return the output back to 0V.

Get a voltmeter and measure your output channel after you stop the VI as it is now.

If you are truely wanting to capture all information about the input waveform I think it is better to start the input channel before the output channel.

I assume the input channel buffer is clear when starting the VI so that shouldn't be an issue??

Message 6 of 7
(3,069 Views)

Thank you all so much for your insightful comments! Greatly appreciated!

As I now understand what may have happened in this scenario, it makes me feel better. I mean, the reason that I connect ao0 to ai0 with a BNC cable is for testing purposes. I usually do that when writing a new program. In practice, ai0 will be connected to a senor to collect data. And I will just have to be sure that I write a zero to ao before closing the ao task, or to clean up ao buffer before the first iteration.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,038 Views)