From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

runtime engine huge issue

Hi,

I have a very big issue with the labview runtime engine.

I use the print at completion mode for a VI and it seems the runtime engine doesn't support either the PNG compression property or the Scale frontpanel property. Which one I still need to find out.
The executable says that arg 3 of my property node is not supported.

Now, this is killing for my application as I can not use the application without this feature.

If someone has an idea, please let me know. I'm under high time pressure and really have no other choice than to distribute a complete development setup if I can't solve the issue.

Regards,
Marcel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,884 Views)
After looking through the LabVIEW help file, I've found that the PNG compression property is not available in the run-time engine. This is what's causing the problem. Try taking it out and seeing if the VI runs to completion and prints correctly.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,874 Views)
I found the property is not supported.

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvprop/propmethnosuprtrte/

I still need the functionality though.

How do solve this ?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,870 Views)
Hello Marc,

I've tried taking the property out and amazingly the quality is fine even without setting the property.
Now, this solves that issue for me as I don't want compression.
It just leaves everyone else who do want compression with an issue.

regards,
Marcel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,865 Views)

Well if you're just printing the VI, and it looks good, why worry about the compression? Unless you're printing to an html file and need to cut down on the size of the image that gets saved, it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as another way to set this, maybe someone else can chime in because I don't know how to do it. I'm not really sure why it wouldn't be settable at runtime either, but I'm sure there's a good reason.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,854 Views)

I don't know for sure, but most times issues like this are a licensing issue.

I'll try and get a definate answer, or an AE to post so we know for sure.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,831 Views)
Remember that PNG is a lossless bitmap image. There is some compression but it is a lossless compression so there isn't a setting for level of compression. I think that there are some differences in compression algorithms but the difference is minor and only useful if you have particular images that compress better than others. There is only 1 compression type which is zlib, but there are filters that can be applied before compression:

Compression
Filters

PNG can be completely implemented with opensource free software and the specification is patent and royalty free. I don't know why the "compression type" needs to be specified for PNG.

-Scott

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,807 Views)