LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

run 2 vi at the same time

Hi

How do I run 2 or more vi's at the same time, thus allowing me to interact with both without the need to close one.  What I have is one main vi that allows me to manipulate data on a particular plot.  I then what other vi's to pop up and stay open when needed showing the same data but on represented in a different way.  Therefore as I change the data one my main vi I want it to show up simultaneously in the other plot/vis.

any help?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
(6,911 Views)
You need to place the subVI in separate independent loops or you need to launch the subVIs dynamically so control is returned to your application. Please do a search on this topic as this comes up many times, and there are also examples that ship with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,906 Views)
Search for Producer-Consumer.  There are even two templates for it available when you start LabVIEW.
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,896 Views)

reza_sed wrote:

Hi

How do I run 2 or more vi's at the same time, thus allowing me to interact with both without the need to close one.  What I have is one main vi that allows me to manipulate data on a particular plot.  I then what other vi's to pop up and stay open when needed showing the same data but on represented in a different way.  Therefore as I change the data one my main vi I want it to show up simultaneously in the other plot/vis.

any help?

Thanks

See the two attached vi's.  Download them into a common folder.  Ref1 is the main.  Run it.  It calls Ref2.  Ref 2 will stay open until the stop button on Ref1 is pressed.  While Ref2 is open, change the numeric control on Ref1.  Notice how the data display on Ref2 changes to match the main vi.  You can do this with as many subvi's as you want.  Just pass the numeric and boolean references to each.

This is just a simple example showing the use of control references.  If you need to do other things in your main, you will have to open the subvi's dynamically as smercurio has mentioned.  Search for dynamic launching to learn more about this.

Message Edited by tbob on 05-19-2010 01:30 PM
- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
Download All
Message 4 of 5
(6,853 Views)

Hello

could you attach the vis in an old version?. It could be 8.6 or 8.5 labview. I do want to run 2 vis and interact with both at the same time.I haven't figured out how to do that I think these files may help.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,569 Views)