LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return from subVI

I have a main VI that calls a subVI we'll call A, A in turn calls another subVI lets call B.  My problem is that after B is closed upon return to A, It does not have control, no buttons work.  I have mocked this up in a stripped down version of Main, A, and  B and it works just fine, but in my functioning VI's it will not work. B will close just fine but somewhere A no longer has control.

I am using the ICONs of the subVI's in an event structure, have set the subVI Node Setup to "Show front panel when called" and "Close afterwards if originally closed".

I have also tried the more arduous task of using the VI methods FP.OPEN and Run Vi.  This doesn't seem to work either, I get the same results.

Anyone have any ideas of what to check?  I have done this numerous times with a main calling a subVI and had no problems.  I have recently changed to LV 8.5 and wondering if there is something I'm missing.  Will having VI B Modal effect things?

LV 8.5 on XP SP2

Thanks,
goldie

I've attached the stripped down versions to explain what I'm doing, as I said they work fine, I just cant get my production versions to cooperate.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,867 Views)
Goldie,

i haven't checked your attachement but i hope i already have the correct suspicion 🙂
I asume that you are talking about "focus" when saying "control". You can, at the end of B, set the property "FP.Open" from B to false and therefore, the OS will automatically focus the last active window.

hope this helps,
Norbert

Message Edited by Norbert B on 11-29-2007 10:06 AM
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,857 Views)

Norbert,

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,851 Views)

Norbert,

Thanks for

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,851 Views)

Internet explorer just freaked on me....

Norbert,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried both the FP.open = false and Abort VI at the close of B with the same results.  Subvi "A" will NOT regain focus/control, very frusterpating.  Especially when I can get a prototype to work.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,843 Views)
A short example.....

hope this helps,
Norbert
Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(2,837 Views)
Not really!   I understand what you have done, I have tried the FP.OPEN = FALSE but it doesn't affect my problem.   I am guessing that the VI settings have something to do with it, but I am grasping for straws.  I need the subVI (B) to be modal to avoid being hidden behind the main VI, but when I tried making my prototype modal it didn't cause any havoc with it.

Still searching...

~goldie
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(2,831 Views)
Goldie,

in your application, SubVI A should get the focus when B finishes, but it does not. Is that correct?
So, as i understand it, the attached example from does what it should. Correct?

Norbert
Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(2,823 Views)
I believe that I had a similar problem with my latest program.  I discovered that if I had a modal, or floating with hide window when LabView not frontmost selected; dialog open, and I used the time/date button on my timestamp control, when the timestamp window was closed, my program would no longer have focus, even though the dialog was still opened.  In the end I needed to just use the dialog with the normal window settings.  I think it might have to do with the hiding modals and floatings confusing LabView as to what has focus really.  Similar to how if you accidently have a modal dialog open when you start your VI, you can't do anything because the modal pulls focus to itself even when not running.
Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,816 Views)

Yes thats exactly right.  My posted example works just as I desire my production version (as did yours).  However, for some reason which I have failed to discover, when subVI B closes, the focus appears to return to A (it does visually) but not functionally, none of the front panel buttons are selectable.

I have tried a FP.OPEN of A when I close B.

I have tried a FP.open of A  when B completes

I have tried a combination of the two.

I have tried a VI.ABORT at the finish of B.

I must be missing some small detail.  I have no problem in my scaled down prototype but my production version will just not cooperate.  The Joy of programming !!

Thanks again for your time

~Goldie

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,812 Views)