LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resource name and interface name

Within my PXI Chassis, I have a NI PXI 8420 RS-232 Serial card.  It has eight Com ports.  Right next to it is an NI PXI-8421 RS-485 Serial card with 4 Com ports.  When using MAX, if I expand the Serial & Parallel listing under Devices and Interface, I see COM 1 (skips COM2), then COM 3-14, and LPT1.  If I select Serial and Parallel, I see all the Resource/Interface names.  What is strange (and it's causing me a problem), is that for all except one Com port, the Resource/Interface names seem to match (i.e. COM3 is associated with ASRL3::INSTR).  The one that differs is COM10 - it has an ASRL15::INSTR.  This is messing up my algorithm that uses the array returned by VISA Find Resource.  COM port 10 should have an iterface name of ASRL10::INSTR.  Is there a way to change the interface name?  I've tried Tools::NI Serial::Recover Unused Com Numbers, but it didn't help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,298 Views)
Hi,
The reason it will skip ASRL10 is because this is associated with the parallel port. Instead of matching up ASRL numbers with the array later, you can have the VISA Find Resource.vi return the aliases instead, by wiring the value 2 to the search mode. The alias you can change in MAX. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,267 Views)