LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

report generation and office versions

I have developed an application which uses the excell report generation features.  I have Office 2007 on my pc with LV 8.51 and report generation addon 1.1.2.  I wand to distribute (build) the application to users with office 2000.  What steps need to be done.  Do I need 2 different builds, will one build work?  How do I specify which version of the office gets linked, is this dynamic?

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 1 of 6
(2,550 Views)

Hi Paul,

Good afternoon and Thanks for your post.

Good question! I have seen this a few times.

In short, yes you do need to treat the situation differently. 

If you browse to something link this :  C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\addons\_office

You will find a text file, titled office2007, it states:

"

These 4 libraries contain Office 2007 compatible VIs. _exclsub.llb\_Excel Dynamic VIs.vi and _wordsub.llb\_Word Dynamic VIs.vi must be added as support files when building an application or a dynamic link library with the application builder.

The Office 2000, XP, and 2003 compatible version of these libraries can be found on the package CD.

"

Hope this gets you started, 

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,544 Views)

So I should make a copy from the CD of the office 2000 versions to my project folder, add these to the project and use them in my build?

I will have 2 versions of the application, office 2000/XP and office 2007 compatable. 

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,540 Views)

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply.

When building applications with Report Generation Toolkit VIs, you must complete the following additional steps:

• From the Source Files tab of the Build Application or Shared Library (DLL) dialog box, click the Add Dynamic VI button to
add the following two VIs to the application:
– _Excel Dynamic VIs.vi in vi.lib\addons\_office\_exclsub.llb
– _Word Dynamic VIs.vi in vi.lib\addons\_office\_wordsub.llb

Note, you'll need to add the VI's for both versions. You may need to re-name the vi.lib, because they'll have the same name (i think) but the references etc for different office versions do change and hence we you need to call different vi's.

• If the application you are building contains the MS Office Report Express VI, you must add any Word or Excel templates that you use to the built application. From the Source Files tab, click the Add Support File button to add the template files to the application. By default, the custom destination for the templates is the same as the path that appears in the Destination directory field on the Target tab with a data subdirectory appended. Do not change the custom destination for the files you add.

For example, if you are using the basic Excel template with the MS Office Report Express VI, add MSOffice_RGT_Template.xlt to the application. The basic template files are located in the
templates\Report directory.

Hope this explains it a little better,

Kind Regards
James Hillman
Applications Engineer 2008 to 2009 National Instruments UK & Ireland
Loughborough University UK - 2006 to 2011
Remember Kudos those who help! 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,532 Views)
Thanks for the help, I will give this a shot today.
Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,527 Views)

Hi Paul.

Thanks for the reply. Please let me know how you get on,

Glad to help 😄

Kind Regards
James Hillman