From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rename outside of labview

I am using 7.1.  I need to rename a lot of vi(s) (I inherited this system).  It would be a real pain to rename them from within LabView.  I renamed them outside of LabView with a batch script; loaded the main vi, it doesn't find the renamed vi(s), but it won't let me pick the newly renamed vi.

Is there any way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,198 Views)

Not with LabVIEW 7.1. With later versions NI added the ability to point LabVIEW to a different VI when it asked you to find a VI. So, you will need to let the VI load with the missing VIs and then manually replace the missing VIs with the new ones.

There may be a way to do with scripting. Scripting back in the days of LabVIEW 7.1 was not officially supported, but you could enable it with special keys in the LabVIEW.ini file. Since it was not officially supported, though, the functionality to do this may not even be there.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,177 Views)

I don't think you necessarily need special scripting for it.  If you load the VIs in memory (making sure all calling VIs are also in memory), you can open the VI reference for each VI to be renamed, the do a Save Instrument Method with the new VI name.  Afterwards, make sure you save all the calling VIs as well.  You could create a text file with the current filename and the new filename.  But, it does require you to go back to your old version and start over.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,162 Views)