LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reassert local control

Hi all:
I have built an executable from LabVIEW 8.0.1 that I will call MyApp.exe.  I want to be able to control and view this remotely via the web browser access.  So far, so good.  What I don't want is that control of MyApp.exe should remain remote for long periods of time.  I tried the timeout setting, only to discover that this setting only applies when a second remote user tries to take control of MyApp, throwing the first remote controller off after the timeout period after the second remote user asks for control of MyApp.  I want the control to pass back to the local version, so back to searching for help.  I found a document in the Knowledgebase that shows how to use a property node to tell if there is a remote controller of  MyApp, and I can do that.  The problem is in wresting control back.  The technique shown uses an invoke node "RP.Close Connection To Client" which does what it says, closes the connection.  That means the web user goes from in control to a blank web page and a message about a terminated connection.  What I want to happen is the web user going from in control back to viewing only.  I have been unable to make that happen.  Any techniques out there?  Thanks for any help.
BJ
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,389 Views)

There is a method called Remote Panel:Client Release Control Method (Not in Base Package).  Could this be what you are looking for?  I haven't used this so I can't be sure it will function the way you want.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 10-03-2007 10:33 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,379 Views)
Hi Ravens Fan:
That does look good, but I already tried it.  I am hoping that I did something wrong when I tried it though.  When I use that method, I get back an error message that the specified project item is invalid.  I haven't found a better way to set the inputs, if that is what I am doing wrong.  Any more clues would be great.
BJ
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,366 Views)

Hi BJ,

I think what you are looking for is the Remote Panel Lock Control property node.  When this property is executed, control of the panel passes from the client back to the serving VI.  After your desired elapsed time, you could execute this property, but if you want to pass control back to the client you will need to use the RP.Unlock Control property.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Clint M

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,346 Views)
Hi Clint:
I had tried that without success, but when I just retried it, it works.  I must have had a bad reference for the VI the first time.  Thanks for the help.
BJ
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,339 Views)