LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

real time

I'm in this same class (Don't know who you are but HI!)

I've copied the assignment sheet word for word below, if this helps you guys. Like the OP said we really really don't know how to do this and need it as dumbed down as possible.

1. Floodwall is controlled by Labvieiw program. Create a VI to close the flood gate when:

a. the flood level (water) is higher than 250" or

b. Each night after 10 pm

The flood gate will remain closed until the water level receeds below 250" or until 7 am. In this phase of your program you will simulate the time.

2. In phase two of your program you will use the actual (real time) time to operate the flodo gate. So the flood gate will be closed from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am and will be kept open otherwise unless there is higher than 250" of water in the river (Extra Credit 10 points will be added to your final grade)

A College Kid desperate to pass this class.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 28
(685 Views)

@JonCurry wrote:

Crossrulz, I really appreciate the help thus far. Does this Seconds to Date/Time function determine the time by itself? Also, I connected the Range to another Boolean that will turn on if the time is in between 22:00 and 07:00, will this suffice?

There's no need for the case structure.  There's no need for the format time string.  Change your Greater or Equal to a Less Than.  You also need to AND the two booleans together to get a single output of whether the flood gate should be open or not.  And as a final nit-pick, change your 250 constant into a double (right-click, representation->double) to maintain common data types with your input.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 28
(685 Views)

@Imgonnafailthisclass wrote:

2. In phase two of your program you will use the actual (real time) time to operate the flodo gate. So the flood gate will be closed from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am and will be kept open otherwise unless there is higher than 250" of water in the river (Extra Credit 10 points will be added to your final grade)

Shouldn't that be CLOSED!

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 13 of 28
(683 Views)

Like I said I just copied our assignment sheet exactly as it is written. We're in this class right now and I'm looking at the assignment sheet.

I believe the flood gates are open, as in, you can get through them and such, between the hours of 7:00 am and 9:59 pm. The gates then CLOSE and prevent any exit from 10:00 pm until 7:00 am rolls around again, but they can also close if the water level rises above 250".

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 28
(680 Views)

Imgonnafailthisclass wrote:but they can also close if the water level rises above 250".

No, the gates should OPEN in order to let the water level go down.  It is a safety mechanism.  Plus, if the gates are closed, how can they remain open?  I'm telling you that that is a typo on the assignment.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 28
(673 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

No, the gates should OPEN in order to let the water level go down.  It is a safety mechanism.  Plus, if the gates are closed, how can they remain open?  I'm telling you that that is a typo on the assignment.

This assignment is supposed to be based on a flood wall that surrounds our city. They close the gates if the water level gets too high, protecting the city. It's not a flood wall on the water.

Or is it.

Do you see why we're having trouble with this? Typos on the assignment don't exactly help, if it IS one.

And it's kinda funny because our actual City floodwall, while it DOES surround the city, never closes in real life and it's water level closing level is 600", not 250", and this entire assignment is based around it.

We're college kids. Sorry if we're giving you any trouble.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 28
(670 Views)

I should also remind you that our professor is foreign. 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 28
(635 Views)

@JonCurry wrote:

I should also remind you that our professor is foreign. 

That really doesn't matter.  How are you coming with our suggestions?

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 28
(632 Views)

Well, what I meant by that was that he usually always has some sort of typos in his directions. What the other student said was what he wants though, from the time of 10 pm through 7 am (which is 22:00 and 07:00 in 24 hour time). I've managed to get Part 1 done successfully, he is somewhat lenient on our results with it. Part 2 is still confusing me to some degree. I have removed the case structure as you suggested. I currently have a numerical control linked to a greater than or equal to as X, and the numerical constant of 250 as the Y variable. The output of that then links to an OR function (X), and now I am trying to add your method to obtain the current time to the Y input of the OR statement, and the output of the OR statement wired to a Boolean. So, ultimately, we need this Boolean to light up with the Numerical Control is 250 or higher, OR the current time is anywhere between 22:00 and 07:00. I'll send you what I have so far, it's 5:34 PM right now where I am, and it is lighting up even with the numeric control being under 250. Am I going to have to change my system clock to 10PM? 

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 28
(625 Views)
Ive got one that appears to be working, but the problem is at our college we can't change the computer clock to even try to test it. I'm going to try this at home and if it works I'm just going to send it in as it is.

Our professor also has a problem of if it isnt done HIS way it isnt correct when the first problem could clearly be done two different ways. (Nested case structure or two case structures, with strings... with indicator lights, wit Booleans.)

My main problem is that I dont understand anything we try to learn because the professor just doesnt do a good job.

Yeah @Jon we have to change the system clock, hence why I couldn't even test it in class.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 28
(620 Views)