LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"the vi is not executable" when running the exe on a non development computer

I have developed a vi in labview 2010, it works properly, then built the application and put it on a  non development pc, with LVRT 2010 installed, . when I  open the exe, I see a broken arrow, and I get the error " The vi is not executable. The development suite is needed..." 

What went wrong? How can I fix this.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,564 Views)

Hi,

maybe your Exe needs more than just the RuntimeEngine. So you should create an installer with all the needed setups included (like DAQmx, VISA, etc.)!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,563 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I created an installer and installed it on the non development pc, and had the same problem.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,548 Views)

This depends most often on the modules you are using.

You have to make sure that the whole VI hierarchy is available on the target system. So leaving out VIs from the vi.lib can lead to this issue if not already installed on the target machine.

In addition, using certain modules require a runtime engine on the target. Some modules have runtime engines which are liable to pay costs.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,545 Views)

Norbert,

How do I make sure that all the vi hierarchy is installed on the target pc?

thank you

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,535 Views)

Regarding the vi hierarchy, it is rather simple: do not remove anything from the build script.

But it is possible that you are missing DLLs. Those must be installed in the expected folder. So look carefully in your hierarchy and check if all files are located in the expected folder on the target machine.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,529 Views)

One thing to watch for that I've seen in the past, is when building an installer, there is an option in the Advanced section, that is "Require the LabVIEW X.X development system or later"

After re-reading your post it doesn't sound like this is what you are experiencing because it is not during the installation that you have the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,512 Views)