From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"get file version info" vi giving wrong version number as result

I am using the getfileversioninfo.vi in the vilib

i ran the program supplying an LV exe version 9.2.2.exe the result shows 9.2.1

see attached, sorry had to blackout other details as company wont allow.

what is this discrepancy. where is 9.2.1 coming from ? is it the version of the mainVI that is used to build the exe and then someone changed the exe file name manually to 9.2.2 or something else going on inside?

help..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,579 Views)

The version # in the filename doesn't mean anything.

Take a look the file property:

Untitled.png

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,561 Views)

How do you say its a wrong version number? Did you check the Build Properties>Version of the exe you built?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,539 Views)

i did not build it, just the exe is given to me , can probing into the installer files get me some info?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,533 Views)

Right click the exe>Properties>Details will give you the actual version information of that exe.

Example (As already shown)

Program Manager_2014-09-11_11-20-59.png

This includes your version and the build information.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,528 Views)

I'm guessing someone just forgot to update the build information.  The EXE maybe a new version according to the file name, but the data within the EXE says it is older.  With 2014 LabVIEW has new tools for being able to programatically set this.  As a result making a Pre-Build VI be able to set all of this is a great idea.  For me the Auto Increment features isn't adequate.  I'd want to auto increment the minor version, and have the build be set from an SVN commit version.  All of this can be done in 2014 now.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,484 Views)

even the right click properties  shows file version 9.2.1

but there is a vi properties in the runtime menu and it shows under general category , location C:\programfiles\....\V9.2.2 exe\V9.2.2.vi 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,458 Views)

@freemason wrote:

even the right click properties  shows file version 9.2.1

but there is a vi properties in the runtime menu and it shows under general category , location C:\programfiles\....\V9.2.2 exe\V9.2.2.vi  

Yeah the file properties says 9.2.1, and the screenshot you showed in your first post proves that the VI read that file property correctly and returns 9.2.1.  

The problem is someone named the EXE 9.2.2.  In their mind maybe it should be 9.2.2 but the file properties were not changed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,452 Views)
As has been mentioned, the name of the VI is just not relevant. The name could just as easily be 1.0.0 or not have any attempt to embed a version number at all. You are beating a dead horse on trying to reconcile some arbitrary label with the version assigned.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,441 Views)