LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"cmd (System Exec.vi)" is not a valid object name for RT target PXI8119

Hi all,

I want to create a VI which uses the "System Exec.vi" on my RT target PXI8119 running PharLap OS to enter some command line commands. However, when I want to add the "System Exec.vi" to my block diagram, it gives me the error message describe in the title of this post.

I can create the final VI on my local PC and move it to the RT target, but then I cannot execute the VI because of following error: "SubVI 'System Exec.vi': Sub VI not supported in current target".

Does someone know, why this is not working? I read somewhere that it should be possible.

Attached are two screenshots of the problem.

Thanks in advance

Philipp

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(557 Views)

@philipp.frase wrote:

Hi all,

I want to create a VI which uses the "System Exec.vi" on my RT target PXI8119 running PharLap OS to enter some command line commands. However, when I want to add the "System Exec.vi" to my block diagram, it gives me the error message describe in the title of this post.

I can create the final VI on my local PC and move it to the RT target, but then I cannot execute the VI because of following error: "SubVI 'System Exec.vi': Sub VI not supported in current target".

Does someone know, why this is not working? I read somewhere that it should be possible.

Thanks in advance

Philipp

According to Real-Time Module on Phar Lap ETS Targets it's not supported.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(537 Views)

@billko wrote:

@philipp.frase wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Philipp

According to Real-Time Module on Phar Lap ETS Targets it's not supported.

And that is because the Pharlap ETS kernel does not support the Windows API function CreateProcess(). The most likely reason is that creating processes under Windows is a very performance costly function that requires global locks to be used to guarantee memory integrity and that would mess up the real-time characteristic of the OS very badly.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 3
(516 Views)