From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Prompt User For Input" not working?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am still learning Labview and have only basics for now.

I am tying to prompt user to input text  but cant get it working.

I specify the inputs but the inputs does not show on the .vi and when I run it, there is nowhere for user to input information.

See picture:

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,725 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sagrmale

I assume you're using LabVIEW 2019. This is a bug that will be fixed in LabVIEW 2019 SP1 (tracked with bug report CAR 739464). For now, you can copy the attached file to the following folder:

[LabVIEW 2019]\vi.lib\express\express input

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

Message 2 of 5
(4,715 Views)

If you want to learn LabVIEW, stay away from the express VIs (the blue VIs). It is better to learn how to create a dialog yourself. It should be pretty easy if you search for it.

It is possible to right click on the express VI and "Open front panel", but don't code it that way. The VI uses a loop and polls the buttons with a wait (why?). Instead, learn to use an event structure that will detect button presses.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 3 of 5
(4,627 Views)

Thank you for your help, It looks like it worked.

I appreciate such fast response.

And "thols" I will consider your tip, just right now I need to go forward with my application.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,596 Views)

I agree to creating your own - once you do you can reuse it in all your applications.

I've incorporated a 'timeout' feature in mine - with a countdown - which will close the dialog if the user never makes a selection.

You don't want your system hanging on user-input.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,863 Views)