LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Out Port.vi": passing from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

I have an Labview program for controlling a custom board. The application uses "Out port.vi" and "In port.vi" and it worked very well under Windowns NT 4.0, LabVIEW 5.1.

Because of the system crash, Windows have to be reinstalled. We would like to update to Windows 2000 with LabView 5.1.1. Would be the recompilation of such a program "Trouble-free?" Or it is recommended to keep Windows NT?

I tried my software on other machine with Windows 2000 and LabVIEW 6.i and I get an error message "capability not supported" when "Out Port.vi" was executed.

Thanks

Ferda
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,488 Views)
In order to write to and read from memory addresses in WinNT you need a special version of "In Port.vi" and "Out Port.vi". These may be found at the following URL:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/devzoneweb.nsf/opendoc?openagent&2851D0A06E3185BC8625683A000AC730&cat=034E59A8530E09DF862568900018707A

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get them to work with Windows 2000
Message 2 of 5
(2,488 Views)
Ferda,

Jim is right...you must use the AccessHW tools to attain In Port/Out Port functionality in Windows NT and 2000. These tools *should* work ok for Windows 2000...

As for your other question, LabVIEW 5.1.1 is fully compatible with Windows 2000.

Please respond if you have any more questions or problems. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Darren Nattinger
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,488 Views)
Dear Darren,

Finally, I tried to use "Out Port.vi" under Windows 2000 (the AccessHW was added in NT as well as in 2000). It seemed to work (it means there was no more error "capability not supported", however it did not work (the result of reading a port using "In port.vi" was always 255, regardless the value I expected.

The configuration of board was exactly in the same state as before crash of Windows NT (no change of base address of board etc.). But it is true that both boards (custom one and PCI-MIO-E-16E-4) were removed and than reinstalled. The LabView program was without any change.

It is just my impression - I did not examine the problem very carefully, so may be there was some other reason of failing.

But finally we decided to reinstalled N
T, because of other (non-NI) devices which are not supported by Win 2000.

Thank you. Regards

Ferda
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,488 Views)
My company is starting to change from win95/NT to win2000. We use LabVIEW5.1 as well and knew about the different versions of the In/Out Port VIs to use as mentioned in the other two answers. One thing that you may or may not have already found out is that there is a speed factor hit you take when going from the 95 to the 2000. I'm guessing that the time difference is in the different versions of the In/Out Port VIs (due to the OS). For us, The In/Out Port access was 3-5 times slower on the 2000. This may or may not impact your application SW depending on how well it is coded (delay times or speed critical timings). We are still in preliminary integration stages but other than the timing issue in one program, it has been a somewhat "Trouble-free" process.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,488 Views)