From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Get Exported File Path.vi" LV2018 vs. Lv2013

Moving a large project, with an RT part, from LV2013 to LV2018.

Mostly went without a hitch, but do have a snag here.

On the RT side there is an "addon" which is a separate PPL, compiled separately from the main program, and can be "plugged in" without recompiling the main.

Works fine in LV 2013.

But it fails on LV2018.

Here is some code, with probes from LV2013.

Note that the result (probe 4) is a fully formed path to a file within an LVLIBP.

image002.png

Here is the same code, with the same probes, from LV2018:

image003.png

Note how probe 4 shows BLANK, which leads to a FILE NOT FOUND error, and failure.  The file is definitely there, the INPUTS to "Get Exported File Path.vi" are the same, but the result is blank.

Any ideas?

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,376 Views)

Is LVOOP used in the Addon ?

If so...

Spoiler

chase down into all of the VIs that use LVOOP and look for a class constant that looks to be grayed-out. Put it in a diagram disable structure and drag a new instance into the diagram to replace the funky instance.

Spoiler

In a forum I can not link in public some have found that situation that drove me nuts the first time I encountered it. It was screwing up my error reporting functions used on a RT system and was preventing me from getting error reports on the Windows side of the application.

Spoiler
I do not think there is a fix for that yet. There was some talk about the default value of the Class was not empty or whatnot.

Otherwise ignore this post.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,361 Views)

Is LVOOP used in the Addon?

No.  It's used elsewhere on the RT side, but not in the addon itself.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,329 Views)

Perhaps the rules have changed.

I am constructing the VI NAME to open by qualifying it with the library name and a colon.

i.e. probe 3 is "3C05A786 RTAC Addon for Barometer.lvlibp:RTAC Addon for Barometer.vi"

That was necessary in LV2013 - it says so in my comments, because it said so in the help somewhere.

If I DO NOT qualify it (i.e., simply ask for "RTAC Addon for Barometer.vi") in LV2018, it seems to work.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,328 Views)

Hi Steve,

How would it affect your workflow if you used the "RTAC Addon for Barometer.vi" instead of qualifying it with the library name?  

DillonL.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,306 Views)

How would it affect your workflow if you used the "RTAC Addon for Barometer.vi" instead of qualifying it with the library name? 

No problem, but it was my understanding that it was NECESSARY to qualify it in LV2013 - that's why I did it.  I'd like to have one set of code that would compile and run both ways.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,279 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

No problem, but it was my understanding that it was NECESSARY to qualify it in LV2013 - that's why I did it.  I'd like to have one set of code that would compile and run both ways.

It was.  Now LabVIEW fixed that.  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,275 Views)