From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question

hello everyone

what the signification of minus one in the build waveform vi

thanks for help

minceone.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,174 Views)

It means time runs backwards.

Waveforms have points spaced equally in time. From t0 and dt alone you can calculate the corresponding time for every single element in the Y array based on the array index I.

T(I) = t0 + I x dt

In your case, the first point is at 0.3, the second point at -0.7, then -1.7, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,166 Views)

All that said, time typically does not run backwards in nature, so if you see this, mistakes were made elsewhere, e.g. the new y elements were pre-pended instead of appended during acquisition.

It could also mean that the x axis has nothing to do with time and these values are just used to define how the x axis is shown on graphs etc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,160 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

It could also mean that the x axis has nothing to do with time and these values are just used to define how the x axis is shown on graphs etc.

Sounds likely since I doubt things are being acquired from 300ms into 1904.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,123 Views)

Time could be relative or absolute.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,115 Views)