From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about subpannel control- open vi reference- building executable(mainly about vi reference and executable)

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

After study and search, I find the example "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\examples\Controls and Indicators\Containers\Multiple VIs in a Subpanel.vi", which seem to be similar to what I need.

I need to combine two (or more in the future) programs into one. and they also need to be able to build executable seperately. and I hope to maintain the program easily, I'm still not sure if it is a good way to do so. please give me some advice in any, thanks.

I have many questions and hardly use VI reference before.

1. It seems the path for  VI reference must be a VI, is that means if I want to build an executable, I need to include the VIs in the package?

2. How to protect the source code? I only have the experiecce to build the executable. Passwords didn't seem to be safe enough.

3. How to deploy the installer, does runtime engine enough for the program with vi reference? or do I need to install LabVIEW development system to run the program?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,225 Views)

By using subpannel, I don't know how to close subvis when click the( stop/exit )button , we can use invoke method "Abort vi“ on the main VI, when I click the exit/stop button on the subvis, it seems stops but how can i transfer the infomation to the main VI and start to "Abort "Screenshot 2022-11-15 150604.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,187 Views)

After modified mechanical action of subvi exit/stop button and use" control value get", I can close subvis by themselves.

And there seems to be able to remove diagram for security purpose.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,155 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yeah

@yeah wrote:

Hi All,

After study and search, I find the example "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2019\examples\Controls and Indicators\Containers\Multiple VIs in a Subpanel.vi", which seem to be similar to what I need.

I need to combine two (or more in the future) programs into one. and they also need to be able to build executable seperately. and I hope to maintain the program easily, I'm still not sure if it is a good way to do so. please give me some advice in any, thanks.

I have many questions and hardly use VI reference before.

1. It seems the path for  VI reference must be a VI, is that means if I want to build an executable, I need to include the VIs in the package?

2. How to protect the source code? I only have the experiecce to build the executable. Passwords didn't seem to be safe enough.

3. How to deploy the installer, does runtime engine enough for the program with vi reference? or do I need to install LabVIEW development system to run the program?

Maybe you can solve some of your problems by using static vi references. These can be included in your built executable and you won't have loose .vi files in your build.

In the subpanel example, this would looke like so:

LLindenbauer_0-1668510234432.png

https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/supplemental/06/calling-a-labview-vi-by-reference.htm...

https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/glang/static_vi_ref.html

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,142 Views)

I would say that you need to get basic LabVIEW skills under your belt (so to speak) before worrying about how to build multiple executables that can communicate with each other.  Spend (at least) a year writing routines that do moderately complex things, have a few hundred VIs, have a few dozen Type Definitions, have sub-VIs with Icons (so you "know what they are/do" by looking just at the Block Diagram that contains them), and have LabVIEW code that you can easily explain to someone who may or may not know LabVIEW (this last is my very unscientific test for developing LabVIEW code that has a "good Style").

A good rule for thinking about Program Design -- have a clear idea of What you want to do, before worrying about How you want to do it.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,106 Views)

Hi LLindenbauer

Thanks. I read the document before,  I will take a look again.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,083 Views)

Hi Bob,

I'm just not worrying about too much, I just met the issue and didn't find or didn't know how to to find document for the explanation. 

And as I know, many of LabVIEW user didn't have systematic learning for the programming. most of us have to learn while working. LabVIEW is a bit easy to start and be able to avoid script programming at the beginning, and that's why I came here.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,074 Views)