From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quanterion to yaw pitch roll

Hi!
I'm working on a VI to controll a quadcopter.

I get my feedback from Optitrack's TrackingTools, so the quadcopter's orientation is given in quanterion. is there an easy way to get the quad's pitch, yaw and roll?
I tried writing a subVI to convert quanterion to euyler angles but got the orientation in a fixed axes system, rather then in an axes system which rotates with the quad.

I'd really appriciate any feedback, wether a ready made vi or suggestions regarding how to create one.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,242 Views)

OK, this answer falls at the outermost limits of available memory (mine not the computer's) but a few years back I was working on an aero project and the math is not very hard. At the time I had access to a book that explained in simple terms (and I needed very simple terms indeed) how to do it.

Try Googling "convert quaternion to pitch yaw roll" there are many examples of how to do it. I remember that when I wrote a VI to do it I used a formula node to do the calculation because it made it easier to verify that I got it implemented right.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,207 Views)

thanks a lot for your comment!

I actually just solved the problem a minute ago- after converting the quanternions to euler angles using a formula I found on the net, the trick was to rotate the angular state vector by 'yaw' degrees around the z axis.

The two VI's I built are attached in case anyone should search for something like that in the future

Message 3 of 3
(3,197 Views)