LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pxi 1031

Hello,

I am currently trying to use the NI PXI 1031 chassis. When I power on the device I receive error 0251 and 0271 refering to issues with the Date and Time initialization in the software. If I press esc and set the date/time I get stuck at the loading screen for the device. If I  bypass this altogether to go to the loading page it still does not work. I have no idea what is causing this problem, I have tried powering the device on and off but nothing will work. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mmoon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,536 Views)

Am I correct that the errors appear on a screen that you have connected to the PXI's controller?  It sounds like the software in the PXI is not working, or is not consistent with the version of LabVIEW in the attached PC.  What happens when you connect the PXI to the PC via Ethernet and run MAX?  Does MAX find the PXI?  What does MAX say about the PXI, particularly its hardware and software?  You might need to use MAX to reset the software in the PXI.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,528 Views)

Hi,

It would be useful to know more about your setup in terms of modules and embedded controllers. Are you using an embedded controller to run the system or connecting via MXI from a PC? I agree with Bob_Schor that there is likely some sort of software corruption. It always helps having as much detail as possible down to the operating system and all driver versions you currently have.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,505 Views)

Yes I have a monitor connected to the PXI controller. When i connect he PXI to the PC via Ethernet and run MAX, I don't see the PXI registering anywhere.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,464 Views)

Hi,

The embedded controller you have in your system is itself a computer, simply in a different form factor. NI controllers typically come with a Windows OS installed on them. If you are connecting to an additional PC, the correct connection is through a MXI connection, not ethernet.

Is there a need to connect to an additional PC? It sounds like what you are doing could simply be set up on the PXI embedded controller itself. There should be USB ports to use for a mouse and keyboard. It already sounds like you have a monitor in place.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,461 Views)

Let's assume that the PXI's controller isn't totally brain-dead (the most expensive, hardest to diagnose/fix option).  A very simple possibility is the Ethernet connection and/or the TCP/IP settings.

Going for the simplest problem first, if you are connecting the NIC on your PC to the Ethernet port of your PXI with a single cable, it should probably be a "cross-over" cable.  However, an even better way to do this is to get an inexpensive ($30?) Ethernet 4-port switch and plug two "ordinary" Ethernet cables into it.  It will figure out if you need a cross-over or straight-through configuration and will handle it appropriately.  We've found this much more reliable than trying to guess/remember/identify the Cross-over cables (and who wants a bunch of "odd" Ethernet cables, anyway?).

The other thing to think about is the IP setting of your system, especially the Network Mask.  For example, my PXI is connected to a second NIC configured as a "private" NIC, with IP 10.0.0.101.  I set its Subnet Mask to be 255.255.0.0, with no gateway, so all I need to do is be sure that my PXI systems have IPs in the 10.0.x.x range (except, of course, 0.101) (I use the convention that PCs are 10.0.0.x, starting at x=100, and PXIs are 10.0.1.x to prevent collisions).

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I don't remember just where these little switches are, but I believe there is a switch that can force the PXI controller to a certain IP.  If so, you can configure your PC to a compatible IP, use MAX to find the PXI, use MAX to set its IP to the value you want, use MAX to reboot it, change your PC NIC back to a value compatible with the re-configured PXI NIC, and reconnect.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,458 Views)

I do not have an additional PC. I was under the impression that, yes, I could simply use the embedded controller. I have researched a bit and there have been reports that these errors come up when a battery needs to be changed in the controller.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,458 Views)

Hi,

I misunderstood you issue from your previous description. There is also an NI article related to PXI RT targets via ethernet.

Why Can I Not Connect to my PXI Real-Time (RT) Target on the Network?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/24D16468DE8838B2862568E200746D7E

This may not apply to your system setup, however, I do not have details regarding your specific hardware or system application. Take a look and see if you find it useful. It is important to note that this article involves PXI controllers. It may be the same for PXIe controllers, however, it may not be the most up to date information if you are on the PXIe platform.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,452 Views)

For some reason now when I power my Chassis the program stops running at the line "Welcome to LabVIEW Real-Time 8.2" and doesn't change....any idea what the problem is?

mmoon

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,440 Views)

Hi,

I'd like to be upfront that I do not work with Real Time systems. I primarily focus on Automated Test/RF systems. At this point if you can give me specific information about what model of controller you are using I can research known issues for that device while running a real time OS.

Regards,

Finch Train

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,424 Views)