From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pulse generation on TTL external trigger

Hi everybody,
I would like to generate one pulse with "on" time equals 200 microseconds every time a TTL trigger arrives. This TTL trigger has a period of 700 microseconds. The generated pulse should not start later than 10 microseconds after the TTL trigger. As I need computation power for other tasks, I would not like that the software generate the pulse itself. The software should rather configure the board to generate this pulse.
Is it possible to use a Multifunction Board ? A guy from support in Germany told me, I might have to use counters to solve this problem.
Please tell me which board to use and how to use it.
Thanks for feedbacks.
Cesar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,870 Views)
Cesar,

Yes, you'll definitely want to do this with a counter programmed for retriggerable single pulse generation. In that mode, every trigger edge causes the counter to produce a single pulse. Note however that additional triggers which arrive before the pulse completes will be ignored.

Here's a link to an example. There's also a little further help here regarding some specific details in the timing.

Most multifunction boards have 2 counters available that are able to handle your timing precision without using the CPU. The timing variability for the delay and pulse time should be about 0.05 microseconds or less, and you can have a delay as small as about 0.1 microseconds.

-Kevin P.
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 2 of 3
(2,862 Views)
Hello Kevin,
I have not tried your solution yet, but it looks like that it is just what I was looking for.
Thanks,
Cesar
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,852 Views)