LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pull data from scope & save to a file

Hello,

I am trying to pull data from the scope (TDS8000) and save to a file and display in a graph...
I have started with something like what is attached....but do not have much clue how I can do this...

I would appreciate that if you can share your ideas, suggestions, similar experience....

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(3,746 Views)
I thought this question had been asked by you before and answered but if I'm wrong, all you have to do is use the Build Waveform with the x offset and x increment output to define t0 and dt of the waveform datatype and wire the waveform datatype you create to a graph. You can then just use Write Waveform to Spreadsheet File. Make an attempt to try it and use the on-line help and if you get stuck, post what you've done. There's also a lot of scope drivers (non-IVI) that do what you want. Download a native LabVIEW driver for another Tek scope and see how it's done.
Message 2 of 37
(3,741 Views)

hello,

how should I make a connection between 'tktds8k Get Waveform.vi' to 'Build Waveform' icon? By following your suggestion, I am trying to connect 'x offset' & 'x increment' to 't0' and 'dt' respectively (in build waveform).

Do I need to set other scope parameter settings such as X scale, Y scale, before 'tktds8k Get Waveform.vi' (?)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(3,718 Views)

It would make more sense to actually wire the outputs from the scope to the build waveform.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 03-20-200601:51 PM

Message 4 of 37
(3,715 Views)
I had wired outputs from scope to build waveform
I have displayed a math channel 1 (M1) on the scope and try to grab data and here is the spreadsheet data.
Do I need to assign other parameter setting in 'Get Waveform.vi?'

thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(3,706 Views)
Attaching a screen shot from the scope is pretty worthless. What about the data in your VI? Run it so that you have a waveform displayed and then go to Operate>Make Current Values Default. Save the VI and post that. Before you run the VI, wire the graph to the build wavefrom. Without that, you have no idea whether you're getting any data from the scope. My guess is that you're not getting anything from the scope. A problem could be use of the initialize function. This resets the scope and if you had any data there, it would probably disappear. If you are setting up the scope manually, why are you doing a reset?
Message 6 of 37
(3,694 Views)
Here are the things that I have done.

- deleted initialze vi
- wired the graph to the build waveform
- connected instrument handle in Get waveform vi

The ultimate goal is to automatically do;
- clear data (button)
- run/stop (buttion)
- display waveform
- save in text file

Does it necessary to do 'N' number of acquisitions and stop before I can grab the data from the scope? (rather than keep Run/Stop mode on?)

Yes, as you had expected the vi did not show any waveform.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(3,681 Views)
I do not have this scope and have never used this particular model so I can't say the exact steps you will have to do to fully automate the scope acquisition. If the driver came with any "application example" VIs that is the place to start. You will obviously have to do more than just a get waveform. If, during this simple test you are running, if the waveform is already captured and your source is correct, then you should be able to just run this to transfer the waveform.
Message 8 of 37
(3,680 Views)
I do agree  that I need to add more VIs to fully automate the scope measurement.
Question. Normally, for any instrument driver, there is a 'set' vi and 'get'  vi to configure and measurement functions, respectively.
Do I need to use both 'set' and 'get' for any scope function?

By the way, I cannot quite figure out why I cannot display a waveform on the graph? (from scope)
The source is correct with math 1 display on the scope with correct GPIB addrs..

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(3,667 Views)

I can get the header info in an output file, but still no data....

Instead, I receive this msg in error out box

"tktds8k Get Waveform_mod.vi<ERR>Driver Status:  (Hex 0xBFFF000E) The given session or object reference is invalid"\

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(3,644 Views)