From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

property node chart

Hello, I am new to LabVIEW programming. I have a while loop where a chart is updated with values ​​from the RS232. The properties of this chart are defined in an outer loop. How I can do to refresh chart properties without leaving the while loop?. From what I can understand, if not get out of the loop where I am working, the properties are not updated if there was a change in them. If I put the definition of the properties within the while loop, the chart is not updated to the desired speed. My idea was to generate via a button, the refresh chart properties. How I can do?. thank you very much

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,929 Views)

Put the property node inside a case structure in the inner loop and make sure it only goes true whenever a property changes.

Can you show us some code? What properties do you need to write?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,918 Views)

Visual representation of what altenbach told

Refresh.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,900 Views)

@nijams wrote:

Visual representation of what altenbach told

Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not suggest at all what you are showing here! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,881 Views)

I think the image below explains a bit what Altenbach described above.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Plínio Costa
Application Engineering
National Instruments Brazil

Plínio Costa
Senior Techinical Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,860 Views)

@Plínio wrote:

I think the image below explains a bit what Altenbach described above.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

I never said anything about a "refresh" button. 😮

I said "whenever a property changes". To see if the property node needs to update, you can compare it to the previous value using a feedback node. Here's a simple draft.

Note that the globally initialized feedback node start out with NaN to ensure that the property is written once at the beginning.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,853 Views)

NaN is always Not Equal to NaN.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,847 Views)

I would expect that the control is never NaN, thus resulting in an unconditional TRUE on first run.

In general, simply initialize with a highly unlikely value (-Inf, -1, 0, pi, etc.) as appropriate for the situation.

If you want, you can replace the comparison with "equal" and flip the two cases. Same difference. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,842 Views)

Altenbach, the ideia of a refresh button was wrote by DAScharf

@DAScharf wrote:

Hello, I am new to LabVIEW programming. I have a while loop where a chart is updated with values ​​from the RS232. The properties of this chart are defined in an outer loop. How I can do to refresh chart properties without leaving the while loop?. From what I can understand, if not get out of the loop where I am working, the properties are not updated if there was a change in them. If I put the definition of the properties within the while loop, the chart is not updated to the desired speed. My idea was to generate via a button, the refresh chart properties. How I can do?. thank you very much

Plínio Costa
Application Engineering

Plínio Costa
Senior Techinical Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,831 Views)

"Please don't put words in my mouth. I did not suggest at all what you are showing here! Thanks!"

Altenbach, Sorry for my misunderstanding

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,811 Views)