LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

program works perfectly with Labview 5 and 6, but shows a lot of errors when opened with Labview 2010

We have a complicated program written using LabView 5 years ago by a person who does not work in our company anymore. It works perfectly with LabView 5 and LabView 6. It contains vis from Keithley, Fluke, Lakeshore. When we open this program using Labview 2010 it shows a lot of errors in a lot of subvis. For example, the wiring is not connected the correct way (correct terminals), etc. (I do not remember the exact wording) What changed between labview 5, labview 6 and 2010? Can it be fixed easily or I will have to recheck the whole program and rewire everything?

Thank you very much for all your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,319 Views)

There are a lot of versions between LabVIEW 5 or 6 and LabVIEW 2010.  It could be any number of things, but there is no way we can tell you what with just the description "it shows a lot of errors in subVI's".

You are going to need to track down the errors one by one and see what they say.  Have you installed the drivers for all the instruments in LabVIEW 2010?  The changes could be due to the driver VI's being rewritten in a later version.

If you can give us a specific error, and an example subVI, then we might be able to help you figure things out.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,318 Views)

Thank you for your reply. 

One of the subVIs that opens perfectly in LabView 5 and 6 but when it is opened in LabView 2010 it shows the following errors:

Block diagram errors:

SubVI 'Fluke 8840 Read Measurement.vi' Bad linkage to to subVI

SubVI 'Keithley 2000 Read Singe.vo' Bad linkage to subVI

I am completely confused, all the terminals look the same, why it would not recognize the wiring? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,288 Views)

As asked, did you install different/updated instrument drivers? If so, that's the likely cause of the problem. The original program probably had the instrument drivers installed in the LabVIEW\instr.lib directory. Look there and see if you see folders for the 8840 and the 2000. These would be the LabVIEw 5/6 drivers. If you downloaded udpated drivers from the NI site these would not necessarily have the same connector pane, and it would give you the "bad linkage" error. So, again, the question is: did you download/install new drivers? If you did, right-click on the VI in question and select "Relink to SubVI".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,279 Views)

Thank you very much for all your suggestions.

I checked the instr.lib folder and it looks like that there are some new and old drivers but I do not know if they were updated inside the program. There was so much messing around with this program by couple of people, that I will have to recheck everything carefully. I will do like you are suggesting.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,274 Views)

Hello monica1234

There are definitely a number of issues when making that kind of jump, particularly when third party instruments are involved.  Raven's fan is correct, if you are able to track down these errors individually and provide the error codes, that would be very helpful to me in order to help you.  smercurio_fc has also provided some excellent advice.  

I am more than happy to help with this issue.  I can be of better assistance to you if you can provide me individual error codes.  Can you tell me which driver versions you are currently using for the third party systems.  Breaking down this situation as much as we can will be our best bet to ensuring a resolution.

Thank you very much for supporting National Instruments!

Sincerely,

Greg S.

Sincerely,

Greg S.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,253 Views)