LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

processor affinity assignment in RT

Hi all,
   Another question, different project. I'm pretty sure that I read, or heard at a NI Seminar, that only one timed loop can be assigned to each processor/core on a multi-core machine. I'm pretty sure because I do remember that in that same conversation/article it was suggested that if processor affinity was the constaint, rather than the critical timing of the loop, that I could put several vi's in a "timed sequence" frame, allowing processor assignment. So, I guess the question is:  can more than one timed loop be assigned to a core (I'm remembering no)?

Thanks, from a tired LabVIEWer, who is battking some health issues as well as trying to put some LabVIEW issues to bed. My mean old boss keeps cracking the whip!!!  
Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,839 Views)
The answer to your specific question is yes, multiple timed loops can be assigned to the same core. But it sounds like the Dev. Zone document "Specifying the Set of CPUs Available for Automatic Load Balancing in LabVIEW Real-Time" might be helpful. With the VIs attached to that document you have complete control. You can specify which CPUs are used for automatic load balancing for both the OS pool and the Timed Structures pool. You can also reserve CPU to not be in either pool so that nothing will be automatically load balance on to them leaving them under your complete control to target Timed Structures to them. You can target Timed Structures to any CPU regardless of it's pool assignment or if it is reserved.

-JRA
Message 2 of 2
(2,818 Views)