LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems after windows 10 update can find run-time engine 8.0

after a recent windows 10 update, any 32 bit NI program that i try to run tries to install NI LabVIEW Run-Time engine 8.0. 

that's right 8.0.

any ideas?  NI Package manger runs. 

NI-MAX, labview, labview exes that ran yesterday all come up with that message when i try to launch them.

i can run labview 64 bit.  what could possibly be trying to use something with a dependency on 8.0?

Stu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,214 Views)

Something seems to have been seriously corrupted by the Windows 10 Update.  Have any of your colleagues at ViewPoint had a similar problem?

Assuming the rest of your PC is functioning OK (Word, browsers, other production apps, etc.) and it is only LabVIEW that is not working, the "relatively Good News" is that a Complete NI Uninstall/Complete NI Reinstall cycle is much less arduous and much more likely to succeed these days (at least up through the latest release of LabVIEW 2019 -- I've not installed LabVIEW 2020 on anything other than a VM thus far).  If you decide to go this route, I'd seriously consider trying to "clone" your existing system and try the "fix" on the Clone first, "just in case" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,204 Views)

Hi All,
   Any update on the solution to this? I'm having the same problem after updating to Windows 10 - 20H2. Launching LabVIEW 2020 or even trying to open a test panel in NI Max causes the Runtime 8.0.1 install screen to appear. It asks to put in an installation CD. (lol, good luck finding that!) This didn't happen before updating and I have several newer version of the Runtime (18,19,20)

I've tried installing Runtime 8.0 which I downloaded from the NI site, but when I try to install it, I get a message that a newer version of the runtime is installed and it stops the installation. I've also tried to "repair" my installation of LabVIEW and the runtime, but that hasn't helped either.

If I was to guess what happened, some of the links got re-written when Windows updated and labVIEW can't find the directory that the Runtime is located in.

So, does anyone know if there is a file with the location of the runtime that I can modify and point to the correct location? I'd rather not have to reinstall LabVIEW again. It takes darn near a full day to remove and then reinstall!

Thanks,
-Craig

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(800 Views)

Update: I ended up un-installing LabVIEW and the runtimes. Then reinstalling LabVIEW 2020 . That seems to have solved the problem. Just have to remember to set aside half a day to reinstall LabVIEW when you update Windows.

-Craig

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(761 Views)