LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with building a dll in labview

Hello,

I want to be able to run a LabView vi from Java and found that the best way to do this is to create a DLL in LabView and then call it in Java using JNI. I did a dummy program in LabView to test, but the problem is that the instructions I found don't seem to exist! For example, one tutorial I was following said to: "Open a new VI and select Tools»Build Application or Shared Library (DLL).". But I don't have that under tools, just Build Application (EXE) from vi, which gives a project file. In another place it said to "Expand My Computer. Right-click Build Specifications and select New»Shared Library from the shortcut menu to display the Shared Library Properties dialog box" but I have no idea what that means.

I have the LabView 2009 trial version, could that possibly be making a difference? If not, what am I doing wrong? Or is there a better way to run a LabView program from Java?

Thanks a lot!

Hugh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,299 Views)
I have no idea where you found these 'instructions' but it's pretty obvious that you did not open the LabVIEW Help and use that. Search for the topic 'Application Builder'.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,287 Views)

Actually, the second one is from LabView help. I tried looking up Application Builder like you said but again it begins with the instructions "Expand My Computer. Right-click Build Specifications and select New»Application from the shortcut menu to display the Application Properties dialog box" and I have no idea what this means:S What do they mean by My Computer? And Build Specifications? I don't have any of that... I'm sorry but I'm new to all of this, I've never worked with DLLs before in any language, and all I want to do is run my LabView program when I press a button on my Java interface!! If there is a better way to do it, that would be great!

Thanks at any rate,

Hugh

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,271 Views)

You have a "My Computer" when you create a LabVIEW project.

I wasn't very clear in my answer. The first thing under 'Application Builder' is a linkk to 'stand-alone applications'. There is a tutorial there. Once you have created the project with your VI in it, follow the instructions about creating a dll that is in the original help topic.

A dll is probably the simplest method of calling LabVIEW code from another application. Note that you must also install the LabVIEW run-time.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,264 Views)
The instructions you found related to LabVIEW 7 or earlier. With LabVIEW 8 project files were introduced (they're sort of like solutions in Visual Studio). As Dennis noted, the LabVIEW Help contains information on how to do this. You can also read this article: Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder. Section 3 discusses shared libraries.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,250 Views)