LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem displaying point cloud in 3d picture

Hello,

I'm new managing 3D pictures and I don't get to display de point clouds into a 3D picture object. If I try to display it in a 3D graph, I get it.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance.

Vicen

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,189 Views)

There are a few things to change. The 3D Picture control cannot handle huge dimensions well - yours are on the order of the thousands, I would not multiply by 1000 and then you should have more success. You can set the point size (DrawStyle->PointSize) to be a bigger value in case the default value is too small.  If you want to use the input colours, you need to divide the RGB values by 255 (so max 1) and then change the ColorMode to be "Per Vertex".  Finally, you won't see anything with Lighting turned on and no lights added. So either turn Lighting off or you need to add lights yourself.

Message 2 of 3
(3,131 Views)

Hi vicens,

Just a few additional details about the 3D picture control

1. By default, in a 3D picture control,the range that can be seen relative to the camera position is 0 to 10000 (clipping planes), so if you position your camera appropriately, you can see your points. (that range can be changed by using the methods frustrum, projection, or orthographic, depending on the projection you use).

2. You can see your points with the Specials.Lighting ON but then your ability to see the points depends on the orientation of the points relative your the camera position and the light position and type. In your case, it is better to set it OFF.

3. If you want to set the color of the points to be all the same, you have to explicitly set the Color mode to "Overall". In any case, the default color would be white.

4. In the 3D picture control, you have to set the camera position and orientation so that you can see your points. You can calculate the average of your point positions and set this as the camera target, and then step back by a certain distance as the camera position (using the method "Setup Camera").

5. Finally, you can use the 3D picture controller to move your points but the VI must remain active, using an Event structure for example.

I have quickly implemented those elements in your VI.

If interested, join the 3D Vision group

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,979 Views)