LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

potential bug report (LV 2011): new input/output not updated in help window

I've got problems reproducing this one, but here are a couple of snapshots showing what is puzzling me:

This is my VI's fron panel right hand side top corner:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

This is the corresponding floating help window display:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

There is a missing input!

I have tried switching to another window, back and forth to the diagram and front panel, showing/hiding Help, connecting and disconnecting the terminal: nothing will let it appear in the Help window...

I have tried it on a new VI, dropping one numeric at a time and connecting them to the connector pane and here is what I get:

reproduction.JPG

In this case, the problem arises at the second connected input. It is actually quite consistent:

repro 2.JPG

Not a deal breaker bug, but bug notheless... Unless, of course, this is a "feature".

Message 1 of 53
(4,827 Views)

It's another feature.  Smiley Wink

I went and tried out what you showed and I saw the same behavior.  I tried saving the VI to see if that would update it.  Nope.  I wound up doing either a run or a Ctrl-Run, then it suddenly updated.  And correctly updated after that.  New VI, no problems.

I shutdown LV 2011 and opened it again.  I couldn't not get the wrong behavior to repeat again.

I saw it, I would consider it a bug, but I can't duplicate it anymore.

Message 2 of 53
(4,823 Views)
That's freaking weird. I duplicated it once and can not duplicate it again either no matter what I do.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 53
(4,817 Views)

I would like to sumbit a possible modification of your avatar.

I propose you put a bug behind the "X" and change the "X" to red to signify "Champion bug hunter".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 53
(4,801 Views)

champion bug hunter.png

Edit: Was too big for an avatar.

Edit again: The hunter looks too small. Not sure what it looks like.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 5 of 53
(4,792 Views)

@Ravens Fan: I guess Ctrl-Run is your solution to everything then... 🙂

As a side note, I am still trying to switch to "Connector Pane" although it is right in front of me at all times. I guess ingrained habits are really hard to let go after 30...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 53
(4,775 Views)

@X. wrote:

@Ravens Fan: I guess Ctrl-Run is your solution to everything then... 🙂

As a side note, I am still trying to switch to "Connector Pane" although it is right in front of me at all times. I guess ingrained habits are really hard to let go after 30...

Smiley Happy

Somewhere over the years, if I sense anything is somehow related to a compile issue, then Ctrl-Run is the thing to try.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 53
(4,769 Views)

Hi,

I've been trying to reproduce your bug on two different computers, but I haven't been able to get the same behavior. I'm using LabVIEW 2011 32-bit on a Win 7 computer. Are any of you who have seen this behavior using a similar machine?

I noticed your vi was part of a project, does it need to be part of a project to get the bug? I was also curious, does this happen with any controls, or just ones from the silver pallet?

Regards,

Luke B.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 53
(4,755 Views)

I am using WinXP 32 bits. The control flavor does not matter and the last example was using a VI I did not save (but I had a project opened).

The embarrassing problem I have right now, is that like the other guys above, I can't seem to be able to reproduce this behavior (which is good from a user point of view)...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 53
(4,753 Views)

I was also using Windows 7 64 bit. I think I had a project opened when I created a new VI. Still a mystery because I know I saw the problem but I can not reproduce it. Maybe from a clean install but I can't really do that.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 53
(4,749 Views)