LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

portable gps device

Hi,

Has anyone any experience using third party gps devices with labVIEW. I'm interested in using one to monitor a person's velocity, position, and the time with a portable and as non-invasive gps device as is available. Could anyone recommend a wearable gps device that could be used with LabVIEW.

Strokes

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,482 Views)

Consider a PDA with built in GPS or a Bluetooth GPS "mouse" you can then use the Bluetooth unit to transmit the data to a PC or in the case of the PDA with built in GPS you can use the PDA Tool kit to create a program that will run directly on the PDA.

Most GPS units are set to output NMEA data which is simple to parse information from once you have read the data from the serial port, you might find some useful information in this thread from a few years ago http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Retrieve-GPS-coordinates-using-bluetooth-on-PDA/td-p/470746  - Mike

Message 2 of 4
(2,434 Views)

Hi Strokes,

I'm Jack an Applications Engineer at National Instruments UK.

I found this case study on ni.com that might be some help to you.

http://sine.ni.com/cs/app/doc/p/id/cs-13831

It is certainly possible to set up a serial link to communicate with a GPS module but I understand you want something more portable than that shown in the case study. Have you thought about using some third party hardware to log the position data and then upload, analyze and display with labVIEW? Or do you need live data?

I'm not sure how many GPS modules will give you a velocity reading but this could also be calculated in LabVIEW given sets of longitude and latitude and the time difference between them.

Hope this helps

Jack. W
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 3 of 4
(2,430 Views)

The $GPRMC sentence will give you speed over ground in knots, this sentence is transmitted by all NMEA GPS units.

$PGRMV sentence is Garmin related and offers velocity in Meters per Second

$GPVTG sentence is Garmin related and offers knots and KPH

Mike

Message 4 of 4
(2,428 Views)