LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port I/O windows 7

I'm trying to access a watchdog implemented in a super I/O chip on a motherboard. It's a Winbond W83627EHG, I have some sample code to access it, but it uses inportb/outportb. Is there any way to get this working on a 32bit Windows7?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,918 Views)

This question somehow reminds me somehow on this discussion thread.

Long story short:

There is no way. DOS-based port functions for direct access are prohibitied in up-to-date OSes.

Norbert

EDIT: Ok, in Win 7 32bit, there is a bit of a chance. But you should be aware that future OSes will also close this gap for security reasons.....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,906 Views)

Heh, I was writing my reply just before you edited. Anyway, it seems to be possible though.

I was trying this route, but it doesn't work. I must have gotten something wrong in the installer then, because I still get the -4850 error. I included the dll and "NI LabWindows/CVI 2010 Run-time Engine". What am I missing?

I'm building on a Win7 64 bit by the way, don't know if that matters.

Edit: Ah, found the problem. Program must be run as Administator! Error is gone, hopefully it will work now. Thanx for the help 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,899 Views)

No it can't work. The CVI driver contains a Windows kernel driver module. This kernel driver needs to be compiled in the bitness of the OS kernel so for your 64 Bit Windows that would require a 64 Bit kernel driver. However the functions that this kernel driver uses to access the IO Port memory map are completely gone in the 64 Bit kernel. They have been declared depreciated by Microsoft since Windows 2000. So even if NI would recompile the kernel driver as 64 Bit, it would not work. And the 32 Bit kernel driver can not be loaded and started on a 64 Bit Windows system.

Basically the IO Port access driver can only work on Windows 7 32 bit and even there it's starting to get a chancy thing.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,890 Views)