LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plot legend customization bug in 8.5?

If someone can confirm this for me, I would appreciate it.

I have 2 issues which I think may be based on the same problem:

1.  Take the attached control and insert into a LV 7.1 - 8.2 VI.  The plot legend should have the system box instead of the 3D decoration.  Insert the same control into 8.5.  It changes back to the default 3D decoration.  This doesn't appear to happen all the time, as this control properly inserts itself into 8.5.

2.  The customization of the plot legend is not working properly.  Take any of the attached controls, or use a standard Waveform Graph.  Customize it.  Go into customize mode.  8.5 has taken away the old method where you can simply right click on a decoration of a sub-control and replace it.  But, you can select the sub-control and go to Edit->Customize Control, then replace the decoration.  You can see this works with the Cursor list and axes list.  However, when you select the plot legend, and go to Edit->Customize, LV doesn't do anything.  No error beep, no nothing.  So the plot legend cannot be customized.  I see this behavior for charts, grpahs, and XY plots.

Message Edited by Matthew Kelton on 11-05-2007 02:47 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,343 Views)
Will no one help me?Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,310 Views)

I always like to help out fellow contributors when I can, but with LV 8.5 handy, my hands are tied.

What I do know...

1)

I believe NI re-wrote all of the graphs in about LV 8.0.

At that time we lost access to get at references to the cursor legend etc.

2)

When NI pulls one version and replaces it with another they provide "mutation code" that will actually re-write your code to use the new method.

There is supposed to be mutation code for each widget that changed and each version step (LV 7.1 > LV 8.0, LV7.1 > LV 8.2, etc)

3)

if you were exploiting some little known feature in an earlier version, the mutation code may not understand how to handle you exploitation.

4)

I have read others posting about difficulty in customizing graph parts and getting the change to "stick".

I have requested that this thread be visited by an AE because it sounds like you have tripped over a bug.

Sorry I can't be of further assisitance!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,303 Views)
Hi Matthew,
I've tried opening the Waveform Graph lost plot legend control in both LabVIEW 8.2 and LabVIEW 8.5 and I believe I see the difference you speak of. This will most likely result in a Corrective Action Request with R&D.
However, I'm having trouble understanding what you state in your second issue. Specifically, you say that you can "simply right-click on a decoration of a sub-control and replace it." Is this within the Control Editor? And are we strictly talking about decorations or are we including any kind of edit to the control, i.e. font, color etc.? I'd like to wrap my head around this one...
Cheers,
Emilie K | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,300 Views)
OK, I will post more pictures.

So, I try to customize the standard waveform graph in LV, but right-clicking on the plot and select Advanced-> Customize or Edit->Customize Control form the menu.  Go into Customize mode.

In 8.2 and before, you used to be able to just right-click on the decoration for the plot legend and replace it with something from the clipboard, etc.

In 8.5, this functionality has been removed.

However, you can select the item and go to Edit->Customize Control (I show it here for the cursor legend, as it works).  You get a new control window.

(Continued in next post)

Message Edited by Matthew Kelton on 11-06-2007 03:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,294 Views)
So, now you go into customize mode again and you can right-click the decoration of the cursor list and change it like in 8.2:

This is the way I expect Plot Legend customization to work.  However, when you select the plot legend in customize mode and go to Edit->Customize Control, LabVIEW doesn't do anything.

Message Edited by Matthew Kelton on 11-06-2007 03:25 PM
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,290 Views)
Emilie,

Have you been able to reproduce my problem?

Thanks,
Matthew

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,250 Views)

Hi Matthew,

I'm still currently investigating this behavior, as I am trying to determine whether this is expected or perhaps a bug. I'm still not sure and thus, I am working with some colleagues to get their input as to whether we should file this as a Corrective Action Request.

One thing I might ask, however, is can you customize the plot legend by simply customizing the graph entirely? Meaning, if you right-click the graph when the plot is visible and select Advanced>>Customize... are you able to edit the plot legend adequately from there?

Cheers,
Emilie

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,224 Views)
No,

This image from my earlier post:

That is original waveform graph from the control editor after either selecting the graph, right-clicking, and choosing Advanced->Customize, or left-clicking, and selecting Edit->Customize Control from the file menu.

As I stated before, you used to be able to do this prior to 8.5 with just cusomtizing the waveform graph (pic from 8.2.1):

:

But now it doesn't work.  The other controls in the graph, such as the cursor legend now have to be slected independently from the graph and customized, but this does not work with the Plot Legend.  If you can edit the decoration in the Plot Legend in 8.5, please give me the steps you have taken to do so, so I can attempt to replicate them.
Message 9 of 11
(4,218 Views)
Hi Matthew,
I know it's been awhile since you last posted. I appreciate the extensive detail and screenshots you provided to convey these issues. I wanted to confirm with you that I have filed a CAR regarding the customization behavior of a Plot Legend on a Graph Control, CAR ID 4FRF0826. Now it is in the hands of our R&D software engineers on how we intend to resolve this matter. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and look forward to resolving this functionality in future releases of LabVIEW.
Cheers,
Emilie
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,092 Views)