From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

playing avi file without wmp

hello,

Does anyone know which features to use if I want to import an avi file and then play it without wmp? Also, I need to be able to analyze the video in LabVIEW (specifically I will be measuring how far small fluorescent beads will be moving). Here are the beginnings of my vi, but as you will see, I really do not know which loops or sub vi's to use.

completely lost,
mgg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,867 Views)
Hello mgg,
You have most of the items that you need in your VI.  My suggestions are as follows:

1. If you want to play each frame in succession, wire your loop iteration terminal to the frame number on AVI read frame.

2. Use IMAQ AVI Get Info to find the frame rate (you will have to unbundle the Frame Data cluster to get the frame rate).  With the frame rate you can then add the appropriate Wait time in your loop so that your AVI will playback at the appropriate speed.

3. Remove the IMAQ RT Video Out function (this is actually for displaying an image to the VGA output on a CVS).

4. If you would like also, you can get the number of frames from IMAQ AVI Get Info as well and that way you can change the while loop to a for loop so that it will only execute the number of frames that you have in your AVI.

5.The output "Selected Path" from the file dialog prompt should be wired to the IMAQ AVI Open instead of the path control.  Either use the control or the dialog box, but as is, your file dialog is not related to the path you are feeding into your IMAQ AVI Open.

6. Also, to create the buffer space for your image and have an image input for your IMAQ AVI Read Frame, you need to add an IMAQ Create at the beginning of your program (before the loop).  And then add an IMAQ Dispose after your loop stops executing.

I hope this helps to clarify.  Good luck with your application.

Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer

Message Edited by Little A on 07-12-2006 09:01 AM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,851 Views)

hi,

May you please clarify the second and sixth statement? I am not sure where the unbundle icon should go or what should go in it or where the wires should go afterward (I have only been using LabVIEW for three weeks, so the more detail the better). I am having problems with the dispose image; are there two different vi's for that, because it says that the data in the wire from inside the loop does not match up. I have attached a new play video so you can see if I am interpreting your suggestions correctly. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help.

thanks,
mgg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,834 Views)
Hello mgg,
I am attaching an image that shows what I meant.  Also, if you have installed it, there is a Read AVI example.  It can be found in the example finder under Toolkits and Modules>>Vision>>Functions>>Read AVI.vi.  Hope this helps.

Regards,
Angela
Applications Engineer

Message Edited by Little A on 07-12-2006 05:37 PM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,825 Views)

Is it possible to do this without a $3,599 NI Vision Development Module?

(P.S. I know this is an old 2006 thread. Any progress for the last 5 years?)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,988 Views)

Try VideoLAN

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,978 Views)

@zou wrote:

Try VideoLAN

What product exactly?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,970 Views)

VideoLAN

Just click the link.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,967 Views)

@zou wrote:

VideoLAN

Just click the link.

VideoLAN is the name of the organization. Did you mean VLC?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,966 Views)

If you meant VLC, do you have an example of controlling AVI animation, specifically frame-by-frame (one frame forward, and one frame backward)?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,943 Views)