LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

playing a video from a LabView front panel

How do I play a video file from my user interface screen in LabView 7.1.1.  Do I have to use Windows Media Player?  Can I use something else?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,301 Views)
The easiest way is probably though an activeX container and activeX control.  You could use other media players besides WMP, if they have an activeX control.

If you need to know more on how to do that, let me know i can make a quick VI.

A quick note, the activeX control will only work for the version of WMP that you have, ie if you create the VI using WMP 7.0, you will not be able to watch a video on a computer that uses WMP 9 or 10, etc.

Kenny
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,289 Views)
Could you make a quick vi please.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,286 Views)
What version of WMP do you have??
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,278 Views)
You may also want to check out this post on WMP 9.0 and Labview .

And here is an example of how to use WMP in labview.  I wont bother writing the VI since this does it for you. 🙂

Kenny
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,279 Views)
I have version 10, and neither of those examples works.  I can't view anything.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,275 Views)

I dont have WMP 10 at work here and our firewall does nto let us use the windows update site, so I will have to get back to you later on it.

have you tried going through the code to see what it entails??  The WMA.vi is a very simple case on how to use WMP in LV. 

In order to modify that VI for WMP 10 (it used WMP9.0) you would just have to go to your control pallete .Net and ActiveX pallete> Windows Media Player Control on the front panel.  Then create property nodes like the ones in the VI and you should be all set.

i will try to work on it over the weekend and get back to you, but if you can work through it today it will be much quicker.

Kenny

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,265 Views)

I was able to get WMP 10.  The WMA.vi worked for me.

Did you get any sort of error or would it just not run?? (more information is never a bad thing)

The user was using LV7.1-8.0, which means it should work jsut fine with your system.

Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,260 Views)
I get sound but no picture
I have LabView 7.1, is this different than 7.1.1
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,256 Views)
Lv 7.1.1 is an update to 7.1, fixing some issues in 7.1.  however,  I looked at the release notes and I did not find any that seemed to pertain to the WMP.  Here is the link for the NI page that has the info on it for 7.1.1.  The download is free, but make sure to read the page completely before installing to avoid problems.

I opened the WMA VI on both 7.1.1 and 8.0.  I was thinking that the problem may be that you have a codedc problem, ie the lack of a codec for the video you are trying to play.

Try this video and see what happens.

Kenny
Kenny

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,249 Views)