LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

play waveform on speakers on mac OS X

Hi all,

I am new to Labview, so this question might be much simpler than I thought it was, but it has been driving me crazy the past few days.

Basically, I work in a university research lab. For the purposes of one of our projects, I need to generate waveforms, and output them through the speakers of my computer.

I can do that fine on a PC running Windows XP, however the lab I work in mostly uses Macs under OS X. The problem is I can't figure out how to get the Mac to play the waveform I generate using Labview on its speakers (I use the same VI on Windows and Mac OS to generate the waveform).

Which leads to my questions:
1) What sort of "vi sequence" am I supposed to use to get a Mac under OS X to play a waveform on its speakers?
2) If I can't play a waveform on a Mac, what sort of output should I make my "waveform generator" have?

Please bare in mind I am relatively new to this, and might need a somewhat detailed answer.

Thank you,

- John
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,561 Views)
John,

I have no trouble making my Mac make sounds. Dual G5, Mac OS X 10.4.11, LV 8.5 (but I have done it with many earlier versions as well).

I generate a sine array with the frequency and duration I want. I scale that to match the input to the Snd Write Waveform.vi. For the 16 bit inputs the scale is -32768 to + 32767. Set the sound format input to sound quality = mono, rate = 44100, bits per sample = 16 bit. Run.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,556 Views)