From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

play waveform issue

Hi,

I am using the play waveform VI to test a USB Headset by sending a tone to the device.  The problem we have is that when we unplug the device and plug it back in again the Play Waveform VI returns a error of Invalid Device when we try to send a tone.  The only way we have found to get things working again is to completly close Labview and restart it.  Right now we are able to close and reopen Labview between testing devices but there must be a better way to get this working?  The odd thing is that we are using the Aquire Sound VI as well to test the device and it does not have this same issue.  Both are calling functions within the same dll "lvsound2".  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks

Scott 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,807 Views)

Hi Scott,

What error are you getting specifically (error number)? What version of LabVIEW and operating system are you using? It is interesting that the Acquire Sound VI is not giving and error either. It appears that other users have experience similar issues. Check out this forum post:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=377513&requireLogin=False

Joshua B.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 6
(2,778 Views)

Actually, SGC posted there as well.

The explanation there is correct -- once you unplug it, the ID is no longer valid.  When you plug it back in, it will get a new ID.  You can find it in the manner described in the thread Josh linked.  I've done it.  It works.

-Matt

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 3 of 6
(2,772 Views)
Oops, sorry SGC and thanks Matt for pointing that out. I just saw "Solved" and went straight down without looking at who posted.
Message Edited by DiscoBall on 02-24-2009 09:41 AM
Joshua B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,756 Views)
Thank you for the help getting past one issue but now I have another related issue.  If I try to set the device number to anythings greater then 1 for the Play Waveform or Aquire Sound vi I get an error 4800 Selected Device is Invalid.  We have multiple USB Headsets plugged in at one time and need to commmunicate to all of them through these VI's.  I am using LV 8.6 on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  Thanks 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,744 Views)

Hello SGC,

As far as I know, there is no artificial limit on the device number within LabVIEW.

How did you eventually fix the original issue?  I want to confirm that all of the USB headsets are plugged into the computer before starting LabVIEW and you have the correct ID #s for each of them.  The ID #s can be found on the Play Waveform Express VI configuration window (within the red circle of the posted .png).

Is there any other information about the current setup that you can share with the community?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,723 Views)