LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

picture control slow in LV2011

When I compare LV7.1 to LV2011, it appears that update of picture control with large pictures has slowed down a lot (from 1-2 sec to over 5 sec). Where 1-2 sec is ok'ish, more than 5 sec makes you wonder if the system froze. I flipped through 25 pictures and it took a very long time.

I still have my 7.1 executables, upon loading the same data, pictures appear much faster.

My pictures contain axes, legenda and maps built of many squares, and typically the composed picture string holds about 2 Mb. Putting less data in the picture is not an option. And what's 2 Mb anyway nowadays.

I attach an example where I just create a large grid of small squares with some ugly colors. I chose the dimension so that once again the picture string is about 2 Mb. Creating the picture is slow. Once you have create the picture, try editing the panel. Now labview becomes very slow. In my real application I use tabs. When in my application I go to a tab that contains such a picture that was already rendered, I have to wait for 5 seconds before it goes there.

PC = i5 laptop, 8 G ram, Win7 64 bit, but LV 32 bit (can not change to 64 bit, company policy).

I know about erase first, and smooth updates, and synchronized controls. Doesn't help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,425 Views)

Does your code use "Defer Front Panel Updates"?

There was a change to the defer such tht it updates the FP when set to true prior to the defering of updates.

There was also a change to allow the picture to support rendering of 3D scenes that is not readily apparent if you are not using the 3D scene functions (that were not availabe in LV 7).

Are you comparing the development version to the exe by the way?

If so have yo tried the exe version in 2011?

That is all I can think of off hand.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,405 Views)

You say you know about Erase first, but on my system this makes a HUGE performance difference. The system nearly freezes whenever it has to do something with the picture when "Erase first" is enabled, but it runs very smooth when this option is disabled.

But I don't see a noticeable difference between LV8.5 and LV2011 (on 2 different machines, though). Can't say about 7.1

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,387 Views)