LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pda module emulator and device

Hi,
I am starting to develop in PDA module and have a question:
I read in the user mannual that if I develop a VI on Execution target " POCKET PC 2003 Emulator"  it won't work on the " POCKET PC 2003 Device " and vise versa . Can I just copy the block diagramm from the Emulator file to the Device file and then " build " the file to suit to the PDA ?  or these two opptions don't have the same functions?
I will happy if anyone can help me in this?
10x
Eran
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,334 Views)
I am already impressed you got the emulator installed correctly!Smiley Very Happy I personally don't use the emulator at all. It is useful if you don't have a pocketpc. If you do, just skip the emulator.

Besides that: You don't need to be copying block diagrams etc. Just select your target under the menu "operate>switch execution target" and run the vi. Labview will do the rest.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,332 Views)

Hi ,

First thank you very much

Untill your message I though I have installed the emulator correctly and now I am not so sureSmiley Indifferent

How can I check it is all right?

I don't have the Pocket Pc now so I need the emulator

Do you have any more advices regarding the development in this module?

10x

Eran

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,330 Views)
mm, I suggest you take a look on ebay or something and pick up a pda for $50= or something. Also mind you that the OS is at least 2003 premium or second edition (if you are using the latest pda module). Whether the emulator is installed correctly? Just try to excute a vi with the execution target set to the emulator. Funny about the emulator is that it will show as a target as soon as you install the pda module, even if you never installed the emulator itself (which is a microsoft product). The emulator can most likely be downloaded for free, though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,325 Views)
Eran,

If you followed the installation procedures for Pocket PC 2003 in the user manual (http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/5E1C0C2227BAF8D886256E52006649F8?OpenDocument&node=13209...) then you should have access to the emulator, which installs with the Microsoft Pocket PC SDK.  I would agree with Aart-Jan and just to deploy a simple application to the emulator to test it.  If the procedure in the manual was followed, then you shouldn't have any problems.  I would also recommend opening the emulator and playing around with it just a little to get an idea of how it works.

Hope this helps!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
Message 5 of 10
(3,307 Views)
Can I program in Palm Emulator then change the target device to Pocket PC?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,164 Views)
Hey hellolv,

The short answer is yes.  If you had both LabVIEW PDA for PocketPC and Palm then you could pretty easily change the target from a Palm Emulator to a Pocket PC device.  More likely you would use the PocketPC Emulator and Device since you would only need LabVIEW PDA for PocketPC.  Things change a little bit depending on which version of LabVIEW that you are using as well.  If you are using anything before LabVIEW 8 you can use Switch Execution Target to change the target device.  If you have LabVIEW 8 or higher you will have to add another device to your project, you can then copy the VI to both the Emulator and Device and create an appropriate Build Specification.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Andy F.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,141 Views)
hi andy f, i want link of palm emulators..
plz send direct link

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,605 Views)
hi andy f, i want link of palm emulators..
plz send direct link

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,605 Views)
Instructions for installing the Palm emulator were included on page 4 of the LabVIEW PDA Module release notes Version 7.0  -

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/2D864AC24949C6FA86256D2C0067006C?OpenDocument&node=132100_US

Basically, the emulator itself is available in your \LabVIEW 7.0\PDA\Utilites directory.  You will have to obtain a ROM image from your Palm OS device.
Eric V
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

"I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva (NI Applications) Engineer!"
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,576 Views)