From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pc to host compact rio

Hello everyone.

How can i send data from the realtime module to the pc?. I usually opened the FPGA interface, but there is some noice in the pc. I tried with a global var. There is any fast and secure way to do it?

Si todo fuera facil, no estaria aca.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,269 Views)

Why do you need to open the FPGA interface?And what do you mean by "noice"?

You may choose to send data from RIO to PC using the following methods:

1. Shared Variables. Which was widely used for communication between PC and RIO and which, I don't think, is not the best practise.

2. Network streaming. "New" function from 2010. There're still may bugs in 2010 sp1. (I've never used it in 2011 version)

3. STM. The most essential way to transport data. But too complicated, especially if you just want to send a small data package.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,264 Views)

Thank's for the quick reply.

In anserw to your question. When a use the FPGA palett from the PC, i can open a FPGA reference, and then read a FIFO memory which have data from the FPGA module. But It seems that i express me in the wrong way. What i need is a way to comunicate the the Realtiem module and the pc host.

1. Shared Variable. It doesn't work for me. If I had a fast application in the RT and a save something in a shared variable , when i read it from the pc, the value is too old and the signal is lost. I attached the vi for you to see ir. Open please the analog tap.

2. Network streaming. I don't have it. I use 2009 Professional Labview, and it can not be changed because the company which i work for has a full licence.

3. STM. Please send me an example or something. I have a big data package witch i have to send form the RT module to the pc, that include FFT and THD data from a signal, and also the signal values. I think that is a lot of data.

Hope someone help me..ja.

Gustavo

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,258 Views)

That is what I mean "not the best practise"!

Just try disable the FIFO or buffer or what ever may block the update of the shared variable.

You can find the Property of the shared variable by right clicking on it in the project window.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,253 Views)

Wilburwu:

I tried that already. I used a method called "stop FIFO". You can see it inside the for loop in the program. But the problem remains.

I put in the zip file a VI called RT prueba. I there you can see the diferencia between the RT fasteness and the PC slowness witch i'm trying to solve.

Do you have an example of that other metod that you told me. Can it be made by sending data throw a TCP comunication,?. I wan't to delete all this shared variable. I don't like it, and the soft is big enough.

the password of the vi is Tenaris

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,248 Views)

It's wierd that after you disable the FIFO, the values are still too slow.

I suggest you to check the system settings.

Anyway, you may look at this and this.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,243 Views)

Good info. I'll give it a shot

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,233 Views)